CrazyBoards.org

I tend to think I had a pretty late onset because I was 39 when I had a definite psychotic break,  Decades before people had told me I should talk to someone or get help. I got angry when I was told I had anger issues. I accused my boss of having "secret" meetings because they weren't on a day I worked. How do you determine the age of onset when you didn't know you had a problem at the time?

I would go back to the first time that now you can recognize symptoms in your life. I have heard of onsets happening at any time. 5-50 for lack of a better example. birth to probably 60. At a certain point in old age i think you are more likely to develop dementia though than mental illness but again there is no limit to age of onset. There are severe cases that didn't onset till late 50's that i know of. Try to recognize your symptoms now and try to remember if they peeked into your life at a certain point.

I noticed you have sza and social anxiety. I just wanted to mention that i have had sza full on for 11 years and the social anxiety has pretty much dissapeared in time. I remember being 19 and rocking on the floor in fits of anxiety. Don't really have any now.

Edited by kyliewylie

How do you determine the age of onset when you didn't know you had a problem at the time?

I don't think you can determine the exact age sometimes.  It's hard to be exact sometimes because symptoms might go way back.  I was officially diagnosed starting with depression in the early 90s, going through various diagnoses until the SZA diagnosis.  But I know I was depressed as a kid, as well as very impulsive as I got older.

I was officially diagnosed at 44, but I can identify possible psychosis going back to as early as 2002 when I was 32, and schizotypal stuff going back to childhood.

That's a tough one. I was diagnosed at 14 but looking back I had problems of some sort since I can remember.

I had mild psychosis for years, was dx'd bipolar with psychosis (or sometimes bipolar and schizotypal PD) but in 2006 I had a 4 month long psychotic episode when I was away at college, and I don't remember anything that happened during that time, my memory comes back to being in the hospital. I was 22. I don't remember anything. None of my roommates names, friends names, courses I took, moving out of rez, going home to my parents, being hospitalized.

I do remember my pdoc having a list of symptoms I had been exhibiting. I forget most of them. I was still psychotic when I saw him. I don't remember if I was med-compliant, or what happened. Nothing. 4 months gone.

I was changed to SZA not long after.

I tell my story to groups and I just say when I had the break because it keeps it clean and easy, but when I saw my new pdoc and said when I had psychotic symptoms he said, but you had symptoms much earlier, like it was a given, and it is true. I read somewhere that late onset, I am not sure what they consider late, is associated with a better prognosis.I wasn't sure if I fit in that group.  I do have it better than a lot of people with our dx. I also have low stress which I am sure helps.

A others have said, I would first go back to when you first started having symptoms util your first psychotic break. Just my opinion,

I had psychotic issues starting around 13-14 as well. I was diagnosed with OCD and depression. Then it went on to bipolar at 24 or so? Then SZA not long after. And the SZA keeps sticking and has now for a long time.

If my paranoia at age 8 counts as psychosis then that's when my issues started. If not, late pre-teens most likely. 

I had depression, anxiety, and OCD symptoms during my childhood and teen years. Than at 20, was diagnosed with psychosis. My first dx was Paranoid schizophrenia, than it was changed to Major depressive disorder with psychosis for a few years... than back to Paranoid schizophrenia currently. I've also been diagnosed with GAD and PTSD in the past.

Edited by surreal

I started seeing things, according to my grandma, when I was 8. I would point out things that were not there. I started hearing things at 14.

I was diagnosed with psychosis at 22 but wasn't diagnosed with sza until I was 27. That's when I had my first real episode. Since then I've been diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder. My doctor sticks to sza though. 

How do you determine the age of onset when you didn't know you had a problem at the time?

i don't really know the answer to that question apart from my own history, which is that i was involuntarily hospitalised when i was a university student and kept for a few months and diagnosed during that. i can't tell you exactly how long before that i had heard voices and taken orders, but i would estimate, perhaps not very accurately, a year or so??? maybe two??? it's really hard for me to say because, like you, i didn't know i had a problem at the time. i still don't think the major problem here is me, but that's a side note.

so...maybe because the way my ailment manifests ends up with me doing things, illegal things and public things and you know...i end up with these involuntary hospitalisations and so that's my "default" i guess for how i would determine my own "onset", but it's not a very good one because i didn't just snap and have a complete psychotic break one day...it came on more slowly, though not enough to say i had insidious onset, i spose, but it came on in such a way that i didn't question it as being .."real" or whatever and i didn't really consider that what was happening to me wasn't in line with "consensus reality"... so even now i have a hard time seeing that my thought processes are actually irrational and so forth, because they do make sense if you're looking from my perspective, so to pinpoint precisely the origin of that...impossible, i think, for me.