CrazyBoards.org

employment?hahaha

is there anyone else here who just cannot work or hold a job because eventually their bipolar takes over & the world spins out of their control?mania or depression or that mean little raging combo of both makes playing well with others an ordeal?& is there anyone here who has a close personal public who just doesnt believe them & harps "just get a job" "having a job will get you out of yourself".i feel like noboody gets it & im quite tired of defending my position.been there done that

Well, you're not alone. There are a lot of people here who are too sick to work, or have been at various points and for various lengths of time, or who get and lose jobs as they cycle. Your "public's" attitude isn't helpful. Are you on meds, and/or in therapy? Stability will help in employment, as it will in other facets of your life.

That's been my situation most of my untreated life. I can work full time, but only for about a year, then I flame out. 

I'm on disability now, but I plan to start working again, up to full time if I can, for financial reasons as much as anything else; being poor may be more stressful than working full time, depending on the job. 

Work can be stressful and damaging to your mental health; but it can also give you some structure and provide some stimulation. Depression and isolation feed on each other. I think anything that gets you out of the house (when you're ready!) would be helpful, but it doesn't have to pay you money. It can just be volunteer to walk a dog, or lick envelopes at a non-profit. A lot of people don't get how much work sucks when you have a mood disorder, and 'get a job' is the cliche of a classic asshole.

Edited by ovOidampUle

I'm on disability, but work when I can. There's a disability sponsored program called Transition to Employment that I'm part of. They help people on disability find jobs. My last job didn't work out (boss was a jerk, to me, to customers, to my TTE worker) and right now is hard to find a job, everything is dead here in the winter, and Target just pulled out of Canada, leaving a lot of people jobless. I'm going to go back to work after my shoulder surgery. I can't get hired somewhere and need a month (I'll be immobilized for a month) off and then have to schedule around physio.

I do web design for extra money. I don't charge much. 

My last full time job was in 2009, but I went to college in 2010. I managed a full course load with only a few meltdowns and graduated with honours. This is after ECT. Before ECT I had dropped out three times in different programs for hospitalization. I have a degree in social sciences and another in computer engineering. It's still very hard to find work.

I had a horrible work record.  I worked jobs anywhere from 1 day to 1 year but no longer than that before a meltdown and I would quit.  Since being medicated, I haven't been that way at all.  I have a hair trigger but my responses aren't inappropriate any more and I no longer feel obligated to quit due to mania, mostly because I haven't had any mania since I started medication.  Anyway, I get the part about how having a job that causes out of control emotions sucks.  If you don't have to work, dont. IMO.  I had to work so regardless of my feels I had to find another job a million times.  I had a skill set in manufacturing so usually could find something.  There's only so many people who want to work until their fingers bleed.