CrazyBoards.org

Anyone on Fetzima?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried or is currently on Fetzima.  I started this med in late December and I feel like a new person.  My last anti-depressant (Cymbalta) stopped working and I was sleeping and staying in bed constantly b/c I didn't want to deal with life.  I felt a difference after 5 days on Fetzima. 

I would love to hear what other people have experienced with this med.

Thanks!

I've been taking Fetzema for a couple months now and I am on the fence about it. I have tried every medication in the book and usually don't tolerate the side effects and especially making me way to tired and drowsy during the day. And with being a mother of four I can't just go to sleep or nap.

I am usually edgy and moderately crazy and snappy but on the fence about this medication. I definitely feel a little more energy since taking it. Did have some pretty bad nausea in the beginning. 

And right now have several very stressful things going on so don't know if its the med or just life but feel alot more anxiety, tense, snappy, short-tempered etc. Especially to my husband and the kids. 

I keep telling myself this is a normal reaction to life stressor situations especially crap I am going through now.

But on the other hand I feel like even with lifes stressors I am not handling and coping with them as much as I used too. Not that I did Great but eve after some short temper or quick reactions was able to calm down and use some coping skills. Whereas now I feel like I Cant get to the point past the short temper to get to the calming down part.

I dont know if that makes sense. I hate feeling this way though and causes even more anxiety knowing I am having more trouble controlling my feelings. Have you noticed any of these feelings or anyone else at the 2-3 month mark notice anything like this or am I just way off?

thanks SpiralingWifeAndMomOfFour

• 2 weeks later...

hello. I'm wondering if anyone else has been on Fetzima that also has ocd tendencies? i changed doctors and they changed my medication to fetzima but I've had a lot of trouble with it, and my ocd started coming back hardcore. i went back to my original doctor and he said that Fetzima can allow the ocd to go wild and is not a treatment for that behavior. so today i went to another medication that I've taken in the past, but I'm still trying to work through the ocd thats returned as well as some side effects.

- has anyone else had weird OCD and Fetzima activity? 

- are there any guys on Fetzima that have had sexual side effects? so yeah thats weird to post, but an important one. 

thanks- mark

I am new to these boards.  I have been on Fetzima for about a week.  I am on 40 mg and will soon go up to the 80mg.  The second day, I had nausea and vomited once.  Since then, I have not had any nausea or vomiting.  I have been treated for Major Depressive Disorder/anxiety most of my life with breaks here and there.  The past 3-4 years have been very challenging with multiple medication changes and no success with meds.  I weaned off of Effexor which I had been taking for about a year and a half.  My doctor put me on Brintellix first and it didn't do anything.  I am feeling a little more energy from the Fetzima.  I am going to stay optimistic.  After being treated with ECT's for an entire year, my memory is not the greatest.  Unfortunately, the ECT's did not really help me a whole lot.  I am optimistic about the Fetzima.  My pdoc put me on it to help with motivation and energy.  I am also on topamax 150 mg in the morning and 100mg at bedtime.  The topamax really helped level out my mood swings. I started taking it about 9 months ago.  But, it makes me very tired.  I hope the Fetzima works.  I would love to wean off of the topamax which makes me so tired.  I occasionally take Remeron for sleep.  And, I am on Xanax 0.5 mg-2 mg depending on the situation.  Anyway, I am tired of the search as I am sure a lot of you are as well.  I still have suicidal thoughts nearly every day.  I am hoping this medication works  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to these boards and new to taking meds in general. Fetzima was the first thing I tried and it has actually helped a lot. Before i started, I was completely exhausted all day every day, only left my bed when I really had to, and could barely function in my day to day life. Almost immediately, I noticed a huge increase in energy levels and getting through the day wasn't so damn hard anymore. i've been on it for a month and a half now. At first, I had a lot of side effects: I was getting hot flashes and sweating a lot, which was wierd. I also had trouble excercising (I workout a ton because it helps with my mood), I felt so incredibly weak, like walking up a flight of stairs made me completely out of breath and I generally felt like jello, oh and my heart was racing all the time and even more so when I excercised to the point that I had to take it way easier than what I am capable of. The side effects went away completely though!!! It took 2-3 weeks though so just stick through it!! Overall, I feel much happier and more relaxed. I am crying much less than I used to and the world just generally looks a lot less bleak and depressing. One thing I should warn you of though is you cannot drink AT ALL. I love to drink, but when I drank on this medication it went horribly wrong almost always. It puts me back in my depressed state for at least a day after, I also had the most extreme crying spells and panic attacks, so literally not even one glass of wine, trust me. Overall, its definitely been worth the trouble for now as I am much happier and capable of coping with life in a new way. 

• 2 weeks later...

23 year Bipolar, 2 year Temporal lobe epilepsy. Been through it all.

Just started Fetzima. Energizing, almost manic, some agitation, day five a bit fluish. Had to stop due to big work commitment. Resumed four days later and found myself aggitated, somewhat suicidal. But woke up this morning energized, wanting to do house work, no ideation. No nausea. Can't comment on sexual side effects. To have energy to complete household chores without thinking about it is a miracle.

• 4 weeks later...

Need info on Fetzima dosages. Just started it 2 days ago. I have a low tolerance for most medications, plus a lot of allergies, but the depression needs to be addressed! I've tried a lot of different meds and have been taking Wellbutrin for a few years, but it's not working as well as it used to. Not wanting to go back to antipsychotics.... Did okay with taking the 20th in the morning, but I passed out cold (had to take a nap) halfway through the day! The 40mg has me zombied out today but definitely awake, and my lungs are itching (probably adverse reaction, like with lotsa meds :-(.) Has anyone ever tried taking any of their doses in the middle of the day instead of in the morning? Or taking 2 separate doses in a day, like one in the morning and one midday? Just wondering if this might help with the "crash"....

It helped my anxiety disorder, but it also made me easily irritated and angered. It has a slight stimulant effect. I never felt truly at "peace" like I do on other SSRI/SSNIs. Also, it caused severe urinary retention and groin swelling. (I am male. This side effect may affect males only.) Urinary retention is listed in the drug's fact sheet, as a "stop taking immediately" side effect.

Edited by robotmeds

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, also new to the boards. I was diagnosed with depression in 2013 and was put on Citalopram 10mg, which worked well for about a year and a half. It seemed to be wearing off, or losing it's effectiveness, so my pdoc put me on Escitalopram 20 mg for depression and anxiety and Trazodone (I don't remember the dosage off hand) for anxiety and sleeping problems. Both made me very sleepy and had very little effect on my depression/anxiety. Last week he switched me over to Fetzima 40mg. The side effects have been absolutely miserable - nausea, vomiting, other gross gut problems, sweating (no matter the temp), anxiety, increased heartrate, feelings of dread, mild paranoia, a weird shocking sensation when I move, mood swings, the list goes on. I called my doctor to see if he wanted me to stop taking it, but he told me to tough it out for a few more days. I think I'm glad I did. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and somewhat energized. And I had an appetite!

I go up to 80mg in about a week, and I hope I don't have to go through all of that again.

I don't know if this will help anyone, or if anyone else had a similar issue with it, but I thought I'd share my experience.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am new to this site and found it searching Fetziam. I have been no polar for so my and have run the entire list of antidepressants. They all, without fail made my depression much worse to the point that I have not taken anything for the last 5 years. However, lately I have been so exhausted that I could not get out of bed. That was while taking adderall also. My PVP asked me yo try Fetzima last week 20mg first two days then 40mg. I am wondering when Ought begin to feel some sort of effect. It's a week tomorrow and I feel nothing st all. He did tell me to give it a chance as I may feel worse but that would change. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this med and the give it a chance. Thanks for any help.

Hey guys I'm new here (25 yr old female) and only stumbled across the site looking for info on Fetzima. My doctor decided to try me on it but I haven't taken the first dose yet. I've been taking lexipro for about 6 months (only other med like this I've been on). I got started on that because of anxiety and mood swings. Basically just being sad or mad with no real reason why and very suspicious/anxious about my boyfriend for no reason. So lexipro helped with all that, seems to be doing fine. Only problem was the weight gain. I've gain 50 ish pounds since I started it. Now comes Fetzima which supposedly doesn't have the weight gain/sexual side effects that others have. I'm really nervous about starting this one bc I've read so many posts on here about the horrible side effects they had for weeks :/ when I started lexipro dr had me take it at night so I'd sleep through the worst of the effects. Only issues I had was waking up once or twice a night horribly dizzy and slightly nauseous but that was only two nights. Wondering if that would help with Fetzima side effects as well? Also a little concerned about the jump from 20mg lexipro to 40mg Fetzima. Any thoughts are appreciated sand sorry for the length of my post. Hope all are doing well.