CrazyBoards.org

Is stress a trigger?

I have a difficult meeting coming up next week that I am dreading. I can feel my mood slipping lower and lower, but I can't tell if it's just a temporary stress related thing. What impact do difficult situations have on you? Is it a temporary thing, or can it trigger depression. I am getting weepy at silly things, which isn't helpful right now :)

For me stress triggers a lot ... mainly the hallucinations, but I also feel my mood go all over the place.  I feel out-of-control too.  I always have to cancel things when this happens to me because I can't afford to get worse mentally.  This is why I have a hard time keeping commitments, because many times, at the last minute, I need to cancel something.  I find that when I cancel my symptoms pretty much, for the most part, go away and I am not as stressed out.

I saw the pdoc on Thursday, he's aware of the situation. Since I have to travel I have even got phone numbers... I can't avoid the meeting (it's a binding mediation/legal thing)

I guess I'm just hoping that if/when the stress stops that the low mood will too. I'm probably just venting. I need to get through this and be as calm and coherent as possible. Not sure if I can pull it off.

I have been feeling quite well for a while now, so it is an ugly reminder that better isn't necessarily better. I haven't been weeping at the kitchen bench for weeks.

Oh dear I'm not actually sure if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure the grammar is appalling.

Stress can exacerbate your illness just like it affects normal people.

FWIW, I do not think stress exacerbates a person's illness just like it affects normal people.  For me at least, stress now, is A LOT worse than it would have been in the past before the psychiatric diagnoses.  IMO "normal" people's stress is totally different than another person's stress to the exact same thing. 

Stress exacerbates my illness now, and I believe it is worse than what a "normal" person would feel, in most cases.  I can't function now with too much stress, whereas years ago I could handle it no problem.

Stress throws me into major depression with anxiety. I wish I had something soothing to tell you, but it simply sucks. Perhaps knowing that it will pass could help. Also, what is the worse thing that could happen in your situation? You still have many good things in life going for you I assume.

Thank you all for your help. Its helpful to have somewhere to vent.

Sadly the worst thing that can happen is I'll be forced to sell my farm, and possibly our house. Although home and livelihood are still less stressful than the dentist. I have all my paperwork ready and hi lighted, and I'm trying not to overthink it. I can crash when I get home when it's (hopefully) sorted.

Thank you all for your help. Its helpful to have somewhere to vent.

Sadly the worst thing that can happen is I'll be forced to sell my farm, and possibly our house. Although home and livelihood are still less stressful than the dentist. I have all my paperwork ready and hi lighted, and I'm trying not to overthink it. I can crash when I get home when it's (hopefully) sorted.

It's very sad that even with the right medications many people with mental illnesses never function 100% normal. Sooner or later they struggle with the mental illness.

there are times I struggle even when there is little to no stress. I never feel completely normal for more than a few days. This is a reason I quit my job twice while disabled,

and college while on disability.

I feel the effects like asociality, loss of emotion, anhedonia, avolition. With meds always come side effects that you might never notice that you're having.

Such side effects that are not listed for example. I guess that's a reason the government has SSDI. For people like us who are very dependent on assistance.

There are times when I struggled a lot 1 week ago, I was looking for euthanasia because my mental illness got really bad. I called my pdoc. I survived for 3 days.

I couldn't walk straight. I had trouble making it to the restroom. 

If I have to go through some struggles again, I'd rather be euthanized than go through mental episodes again. Sadly to be euthanized I needed to have a terminal illness

that is going to end my life in less than 6 months.

I'd rather feel peace than go through serious struggles again. I wished they would change laws so people who don't want anymore suffering can choose to do so at

their own will.

I doubt they will ever allow euthanasia for mental illness. For one thing, mental illness is changeable; even if you feel it changes only from bad to worse, you've got to admit that it's changeable. For another, the liability would be up the whazoo. Everyone's family would sue, because they would know it was assisted suicide, not euthanasia. although I know there is a debate about both of those terms' meanings.