CrazyBoards.org

SSDI - how long did it take you to get approved?

My mom helped me with filing for SSDI because I was over-medicated so I wouldn't kill myself.  And she got help from members of the staff of the psych unit I was constantly on.

The part I remember was that it was approved very fast, and was retroactive a year.  My mom had called SSA to ask about something, and by some blessing talked to someone who said he would meet with her about it.  So she hung up and drove to meet him.  After that it only took a couple months.  Idk the details and all, but I didn't need a lawyer or anything, and it was done very fast.

I receive SSI, I dont have enough work credits for SSDI, however, the process for determining medically disabled is the same. It took me 5 months for approval without any denials. I thought it was a very easy process. But for others it is a long and stressful process with denials, appeals, waiting, etc. I hope you get the approval soon so you can have some peace. 

It took me 4 months to get approved. I applied for both SSI and SSDI at the same time. Both were approved after 4 months. When I was

approved, I got a letter in the mail stating "we have found that you may be mentally disabled" and it said to come to the office with

a bank statement, passport, ID, etc things like that.

Then I got back pay for those 4 months. I hope you get approved for your disability. I heard once you are approved, you might

qualify for it for the rest of your life since mental illness doesn't just go away. I tried to go back to work a couple of times while disabled and

to college twice but failed.

While disabled you might have to take care of yourself and budget finances very well.

I heard once you are approved, you might qualify for it for the rest of your life since mental illness doesn't just go away.

I think anyone with SSDI will have at least one review in their lifetime to determine continuing eligibility.  I have never heard of someone never getting a review for continuing eligibility.  I could be wrong though.

I heard once you are approved, you might qualify for it for the rest of your life since mental illness doesn't just go away.

I think anyone with SSDI will have at least one review in their lifetime to determine continuing eligibility.  I have never heard of someone never getting a review for continuing eligibility.  I could be wrong though.

Yea, I got a continuing disability review about fourteen months after I was awarded SSDI, so I handed up filling out eight or nine pages of the same information (naturally not much changed).  But boy did I sweat and stress, and sweat and stress for like two and a half months wondering if I was going to lose it already.

Yea, I got a continuing disability review about fourteen months after I was awarded SSDI, so I handed up filling out eight or nine pages of the same information (naturally not much changed).  But boy did I sweat and stress, and sweat and stress for like two and a half months wondering if I was going to lose it already.

Yes, me too ... I was very worried, even though nothing had changed, actually if anything, things had gotten worse.

This is true. I got a review after 5 years or so. They say they do it every now and then. My pdoc said once you are approved it is easy to keep the benefits. That's why I said some people

stay on SSDI forever. I was happy when I was approved. Now I would be happy if I could just function and do daily things with ease. Life is hard for me even not working or going back to school

and laying around the house all day long is difficult.

You have to budget very well. I basically receive a little less than minimum wage after health care deductions. If I didn't have credit card debts I would have a lot more spending money.

I believe I have around $40 per week of spending money.

How much spending money do u guys get per week/month?

This is true. I got a review after 5 years or so. They say they do it every now and then. My pdoc said once you are approved it is easy to keep the benefits. That's why I said some people

stay on SSDI forever. I was happy when I was approved. Now I would be happy if I could just function and do daily things with ease. Life is hard for me even not working or going back to school

and laying around the house all day long is difficult.

You have to budget very well. I basically receive a little less than minimum wage after health care deductions. If I didn't have credit card debts I would have a lot more spending money.

I believe I have around $40 per week of spending money.

How much spending money do u guys get per week/month?

About $50.00 per week for spending money (basically pays for my food-I cant get food stamps since I live with my parents, when I move out one day I will qualify, toiletries, and other essentials.)

I live with my mom and get food stamps. I and my mom just told the food stamp office that we buy and prepare food separately. I've been living with my mom for almost 2 years and have been receiving them the whole time I've lived here. When I wasn't working, I got $363 (me and my daughter) and now that I'm working they've dropped them down to $140, but I still get them.

I applied on my own. The first time, it was about five or six months before I heard back, and I was denied. I appealed, again on my own, and was accepted after about another five months. It was backdated for that whole year, though.