CrazyBoards.org

I have awful intrusive thoughts and obsessions regarding dates - friday 13th for example. This year there is a friday 13th for two months running, which is bad enough, and Feb 21st comes between them which is my abusers birthday and the anniversary of one of my severe suicide attempts. I am honestly terrified.

I don't really have a superstition about Friday the 13th, but I am more aware of things happening on these days.  Skeptical I guess.  I usually stay inside, but if I go out and something goes wrong I do tend to blame it on it being Friday the 13th.

I would stay inside but I have school D:

I used to have obsession with numbers, but in my scheme, 13 was a lucky number (even numbers, particularly 4 and 6, were evil to me). I agree that you need to bring this up with a therapist. I finally learned that numbers are just numbers without any particular significance to them other than they are numbers. Honestly, it took years for me which isn't helpful, I know.

Something to think about: If no one told you or if the culture didn't tell you that Friday the 13th was unlucky, would you still be scared of it? Did anything bad actually happen to you on Friday the 13th or is it just that you were told that Friday the 13th was unlucky? Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. Neither is it necessarily true when society says something is true. That is something you will learn with age.

If you have to leave the house for school, try not to focus on the date. I wouldn't even know what today is unless I stopped to think about it. If you feel gripped with worry when you do think about it, just let the thoughts come, acknowledge them, and let them move on. Thoughts are not reality. Just because you think something also doesn't make it true. It is just a thought.

Once again, I encourage you to talk with a therapist or counselor about this. You can and will get through it. That much I am certain.

Something to think about: If no one told you or if the culture didn't tell you that Friday the 13th was unlucky, would you still be scared of it?

Actually, it's an Anglo-Saxon superstition. Or perhaps I should say Western. At any rate, as a Jew, I don't have to pay Friday the 13th any mind. Can you get your Hebrew on for a day? I'll gladly teach you a few Yiddish words, if it would help.

• 1 month later...

I used to have obsession with numbers, but in my scheme, 13 was a lucky number (even numbers, particularly 4 and 6, were evil to me). I agree that you need to bring this up with a therapist. I finally learned that numbers are just numbers without any particular significance to them other than they are numbers. Honestly, it took years for me which isn't helpful, I know.

Something to think about: If no one told you or if the culture didn't tell you that Friday the 13th was unlucky, would you still be scared of it? Did anything bad actually happen to you on Friday the 13th or is it just that you were told that Friday the 13th was unlucky? Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. Neither is it necessarily true when society says something is true. That is something you will learn with age.

If you have to leave the house for school, try not to focus on the date. I wouldn't even know what today is unless I stopped to think about it. If you feel gripped with worry when you do think about it, just let the thoughts come, acknowledge them, and let them move on. Thoughts are not reality. Just because you think something also doesn't make it true. It is just a thought.

Once again, I encourage you to talk with a therapist or counselor about this. You can and will get through it. That much I am certain.

I've always been a little skeptical about Friday 13th, but the last few Friday 13ths have included witnessed car crashes, a boy falling off his bike and splitting his head open, a psychiatric hospital admission, a friend of mine being hit by a car... Bad things happen to or around me all the time, I think I was just overly paranoid because some of them happened on Friday 13th. However, I seemed to have survived the last few months so the bad luck must have stopped for me, at least for now :)