CrazyBoards.org

How bad would it be to stay up for 60ish hours every week?

It's my natural sleep pattern. I don't like sleep. I don't need as much. And I comfortably stay awake for long periods of time. 

And I'm not hypo/manic right now nor mixed. So can't attribute it to that. I've always hated sleep since I was a child. 

How bad would it be to stay away for 60ish hours every week or every month? 

As in, stay awake 60hrs consecutively?

If so - pretty bad.

It'll either affect your cognition to the point where you'll seem drunk, or you'll push yourself into a manic state.

It's not uncommon to be able to get by with less sleep than the usual 8hrs/night but no matter how much you don't like sleep, your body does need it. 

It used to be "natural" for me to stay up days at a time.  I could only sleep every few days and I felt fine the whole time.  I can't handle it now, and from what I've seen happen to me during periods of extended sleep deprivation in the past couple of years, I doubt it was a good thing even when I was younger and it didn't seem to matter.

Edited by cara23

Unless your employer is renumerating you really, really, really well for staying awake for extended periods with little or no sleep or you are running your own business,  I personally wouldn't want to risk my mental health. Sleep debt can never be repaid a few days later with longer sleep. 

Personally I would not stay up for 60ish hours straight every week/month.  It would really affect my MI in terms of causing a hypo/manic or depressed state.  Knowing what it is like to get only a couple hours of sleep/day, I can't even imagine how I'd be doing 60ish hours.

it's counterproductive if you're aiming for mental stability and recovery or maintenance of any of your MI. it can worsen every aspect of your mental and physical health and it definitely won't help your issues with cognitive decline. you should probably tell your pdoc about this.