CrazyBoards.org

I have maxed out on risperdal consta Depot and I am still having voices/paranoid thoughts. I have been back to see my doctor and she has switched me on to haldol. I am worried about the EPS affects as I was on chlorpromazine years ago and it made me as stiff as a rod of steel.

Does anyone have any views on this drug.

i've been on haldol depot for several months...i don't think it's been a full year, but i couldn't tell you exactly how long. before that i was on prolixin depot. personally i've found them to be quite similar as far as containing things; i guess the haldol is better overall as i haven't maxed out on it yet. i hear you about EPS concerns and would say that cogentin works best with haldol for me, whilst propranolol worked better with prolixin. i think what works to quell those issues, that it can vary a lot from person to person and medication to medication and you should mention it at the first sign of flares as it's easier to get a handle on if you act faster than if you wait. i would also say that the main difference in EPS problems from my experience is that prolixin gave me akathisia and haldol tends to give me muscle rigidity/dystonia, if anything, but the cogentin has acted as a solid preventative. anyway, hope that helps.

I was on haldol injection for nearly a year. It was a pretty smooth ride. Once i got used to it it gave me an overall sense of peace. I just couln't tolerate the sleepiness because it wasn't quite the med for me. Overall though i think it is a good drug. hang in there, haldol works slower though. Look for your max effect to start two days out. You just might find a place of peace. Good luck.