CrazyBoards.org

Nurse promoting SI

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-384187/Allow-safe-self-harming-nurses-urge.html

What do you think?

I came across this article, not sure what to make of it....I mean at the end of the day if people are safe what's the harm?

I can see that , because being a masochist makes a bit different since I am not really suffering when I cut but if you suffering then obviously it can't be good :  so is it bad or good???? saying ok to it

First, they're not "promoting" SI.  They're taking a harm reduction approach, which is different.

Second, this article perplexes me.

"She said the issue surrounded "a very distinct group" who harmed themselves as a way of coping rather than for attention or as a form of communication."

I find this statement in particular perplexing - as if every person who self harms does so for one single reason and can be divided into discrete categories.

Also there are things you just can't do in hospitals.  You can't smoke, you can't have sex, and you theoretically can't use drugs.  I think it takes away from the hospital as a healing environment if you allow people to self-harm.

She said the issue surrounded "a very distinct group" who harmed themselves as a way of coping rather than for attention or as a form of communication.

This group often harmed themselves in less visible places such as on their belly, she said. 

I am not a big fan of this statement. It sounds suspiciously like she's saying that where a person self-harms is some kind of an indicator of their "validity" or "sincerity." 

Horseshit. 

Also, who gets to decide what kinds of self-harm count and what kinds don't? Her words are just problematic no matter how I examine them. 

That being said, I do think harm reduction is a valid approach, and there does seem to be some value in the idea of "safe" self-harm in a controlled environment. But if I'm hurting badly enough to self-harm, I'm also not going to promise that I'll stop where you want me to, so again, it's problematic. Still, at least the people would be in a position where they could receive care, which is a good thing, I suppose. 

Edited by Mim