CrazyBoards.org

Hearing music that isn't there

Usually when I'm manic, I hear things - especially non-existent music. Lately I've been hearing it even though I'm relatively stable. Today for example I could have sworn that my neighbors were playing really loud hip hop but no one else heard it. Does anyone else experience this when not having a specific episode occurring?

This happens to me a lot even when my mood is stable and what's even stranger is that I often hear the music come out of strange places such as the fan and also the shower head. I'm also constantly hearing a radio program playing.

^^Me too.  Also hear people talking/music through the fan, vacuum cleaner when it is on, and running water.  And then it all sounds like echoes of voices or music.

Last time I had a visual hallucination was more than 5 years ago. I was very scared when I saw something that wasn't there. It lasted for 5 seconds.

I basically froze and thought I was gonna have a panic attack if the hallucination didn't go away asap. It was the scariest moment of my life.

When I was living alone in an apartment, I heard my mom saying my name and I woke up and I was extremely scared.

Since then I didn't have any hallucinations. I am scared of having a manic episode in the future. Because I was taking all my meds daily and on time,

but I became a little manic for a while and was hypersexual. I liked it when I was hypomanic though. Then came the depressive episode where I stayed in bed for a few days

and had to call a mental hospital for help.

However, I have not felt normal ever again since 2004 after I developed these disabilities and still on meds.

For the record, not DX'ed bipolar...but I had a few lifetime incidents of " KLSD " radio.

Because my head is producing it, the last time, I just started conducting it, it was really fun to conduct my own auditory hallucination.

I did also get the call letters, KLSD. In four part harmony, when it cut off for the day.

I occasionally heard my phone ring when it wasn't. My brain favors certain pitches, so I changed the ringtone, has not happened.

..my head is a weird place...but it's getting less vicious.

This happens to me a lot even when my mood is stable and what's even stranger is that I often hear the music come out of strange places such as the fan and also the shower head. I'm also constantly hearing a radio program playing.

^^Me too.  Also hear people talking/music through the fan, vacuum cleaner when it is on, and running water.  And then it all sounds like echoes of voices or music. Do they stop when you turn the fan/vacuum/faucet off?

^^Me too.  Also hear people talking/music through the fan, vacuum cleaner when it is on, and running water.  And then it all sounds like echoes of voices or music. Do they stop when you turn the fan/vacuum/faucet off?

Yes.

Sometimes, but not always.

I am almost always in an episode, so I don't know. I think having hallucinations outside of an episode makes the Dx schizoaffective, bipolar type rather than bipolar with psychotic features, but I'm not sure.

This is what I don't understand, I get told that I have bipolar with psychosis even though my hallucinations and other things happen outside of episodes yet others who experience the same thing have a diagnosis of schizoaffective. I'm sure the two are very similar but there would be other differences besides when the psychosis occurs that would separate them, right?

I am almost always in an episode, so I don't know. I think having hallucinations outside of an episode makes the Dx schizoaffective, bipolar type rather than bipolar with psychotic features, but I'm not sure.

This is what I don't understand, I get told that I have bipolar with psychosis even though my hallucinations and other things happen outside of episodes yet others who experience the same thing have a diagnosis of schizoaffective. I'm sure the two are very similar but there would be other differences besides when the psychosis occurs that would separate them, right? That's the only thing that I can think of, but maybe there is something else. Whether the psychosis or mood episodes predominate? I dunno.

Yes. I had that happen with my AC. Was driving me nuts. But then one time I went outside and it followed me half the way across town. Other times it came from my speakers even though my stereo was turned off. And then There were times when it seemed to be coming from next door or above me, but when I went to check it out, there was nothing there. Go back to my living room and it's there again. I hear a lot of noises, too, which I often can't tell whether they're real or not. Sometimes I hear constant tones or a faint buzz in my ear or from nearby. That's probably the most common, but I never considered that to be a hallucination. Thought it was some kind of artifact of hearing. Does anyone else get that?

Flash ... yes, with my A/C also.  That is another one for me too.

I hear a lot of noises, too, which I often can't tell whether they're real or not. Sometimes I hear constant tones or a faint buzz in my ear or from nearby. That's probably the most common, but I never considered that to be a hallucination. Thought it was some kind of artifact of hearing. Does anyone else get that?

I consider those auditory hallucinations when I have/hear them.