CrazyBoards.org

Pdoc suggesting ECT

Loon-A-TiK

My new pdoc today looked over my charts, changed my AAP, and suggested ECT.

How many different things is it realistic to try before I sit down and say this is the next/last bet?

My main symptoms are mania and psychosis. Depression hasn't been an issue recently. Does ECT treat mania and psychosis?

I'm looking forward to your responses.

-loon-

My main symptoms are mania and psychosis. Depression hasn't been an issue recently. Does ECT treat mania and psychosis?

I'm looking forward to your responses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ECT does treat mania, I don't know about psychosis. If you do research online, remember that there are a lot of groups that are opposed to ECT on principle and say negative things without any data.

I with I could be more help -- but I've always been strictly depressed. I'll bring this to the attention of one or two people who hopefully know more.

Fiona

• 1 month later...

The manual for the Thymatron ECT machine, as well as the sole textbook currently in print for the use of ECT (written by--surprise!--the inventors and marketers of the machine), recommends its use only for intractable, uncomplicated depression.

While they do not mention any contraindications, many doctors SPECIFICALLY caution against its use in cases of PTSD as it can make a bad situation far worse.

One can, conversely, receive much the same effects on the brain as an ECT treatment by banging one's head against the wall until it hurts, then continuing for about another five minutes.  This should generate a strong endorphin rush and a headache--just like ECT does.

Anyone wishing a copy of the Thymatron IV ECT machine manual in .pdf for please do contact me and I'll happily send one.

Finally....some doctors may sharply disagree with me, but there is simply not medication that is effective with BPD apart from blunting some of the symptoms.  I speak from 12 years of observing someone who is Borderline but refuses to admit it, and who is certain that the next pill will cure all.  She has been through more than one psychiatrist per year, since when the pills have no effect, she makes false accusations against them and tries to get them into legal trouble.

And personally, I don't think that being an unmitigated jerk is a "disorder"--it's just a character defect and if you want to be happy in life, you'll just have to do something to improve yourself.

• 10 months later...

johngalt

Would you please send me me manual to the Thymatron device ?

Moderator Edit: If you have this information, please PM or email the member for where to send it to.

Note to all: this site is indexed by Google and Google is scanned by spammers looking for email addresses they

might not yet have.

Don't expect any reply from him. He hasn't logged in for over 10 months.

However, the Thymatron IV manual and several papers on clinical usage can be found at the company website: http://www.thymatron.com/sub_downloads.asp

[edit]

Ok, here is an html version of the manual, that doesn't require a serial number to access:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:GUoVe...=clnk&cd=13

However, don't expect too much. Just like the manual for a pacemaker isn't going to tell you how to do open heart surgery, this manual doesn't tell you how to select the proper settings or interpret results of ECT.

a.m.

Archived