CrazyBoards.org

visualizing SI as a way to self-soothe

cosima

i used to SI but haven't regularly in years. i still think about cutting in times of high stress and anxiety. i visualize my old routine and vividly fantasize my way through it - playing every step in slow motion in my mind. it's become an automatic response and i can do it everywhere at any time with no repercussions. it may not be healthy but it's my healthy alternative to actually doing it.

anyone else do this? does it work for you?

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting that you mention this as a coping strategy.

When I quit smoking, I would use the tool of "having a mental cigarette" when I needed to take a break that smoking used to give me the excuse to do. I didn't find that it triggered cravings and in fact gave me the sensations of having smoked without actually having done so. I know it sounds really weird. I wonder if I triggered some of the biochemical responses of smoking without actually putting nicotine etc in my body.

If it doesn't trigger you more, I can imagine it's a great harm reduction strategy. There's a lot of research that says there's not much difference between vividly imagined experience and actual experience. This is why athletes perform better when they mentally rehearse.

with some things, this approach for me; and with others, it makes it worse.

for example, if I sit there and focus on what cutting would like -- [edited out specific details] -- like, get really graphic with myself about it, then it often keeps me from cutting.

but when I try to visualise having a beer or a shot of whiskey, I just go out and get trashed.

::shrugs::

theshadowrose, would you mind editing out the things you just wrote that "romanticize" self harm.

You're new and you might not have read the forum guidelines that are specific to the self harm thread.

Thanks.

ETA: since it's been a few hours I am going to edit it for you

I don't intentionally visualize SI, it's more like an intrusive thought when I am stressed out. I think it is more triggering for me, though. I haven't actually intentionally SI'd in about a decade. But, I have those visualizations pretty frequently.

theshadowrose, would you mind editing out the things you just wrote that "romanticize" self harm.

You're new and you might not have read the forum guidelines that are specific to the self harm thread.

Thanks.

ETA: since it's been a few hours I am going to edit it for you

(sorry.  I didn't mean to romanticise it.  as a writer, I get a little flowery with my descriptions.  I really am sorry and will try to make a more active note about it when I post in the future.)

Edited by theshadowsrose