CrazyBoards.org

Anorexia During Mania?

;) I noticed that in my manias, I stop eating entirely. A "meal" would be a nice plate of lettuce and diet soft drinks. My job had me on my feet all day running around, and I got up extra early in the morning to swim laps. I lost about 30lbs before the mania turned and I got back to a more basel-line state.

Why in the world would I stop eating during a mania, and not even realize it? Does this make any sense at all?

Makes sense to me! I haven't done the "dieting" behavior of eating lettuce and drinking diet soft drinks, but when I'm manic, I forget to eat. I'll feel hungry at an inconvenient time, decide to eat later, and when the hunger feeling passes, I just forget to eat.

Hi Serra,

I love your pic of you and your kitty! I also love the Alice in Wonderland stuff. That is just how I feel.

I'm not 100% sure why I do the weird "dieting" thing. My size goes from a 6 to a 0/1 and it gets very unattractive, but I don't really notice or care. I think that perhaps it increases my feeling of control. I can't control the manias, but I can control what I eat. ??? Dunno. I'm just unique.

I'm realizing more and more that my noneating phases are usually (maybe always?) kicked off by a need for control.  Perhaps that need is something at least somewhat rational (though overreactional), kicked off by facts and recent events, but other times it's compulsive, where I MUST control EVERYTHING.  I don't yet know how this fits with mania, though.  I used to deny any connection between them and ahything. 

count me in. i don't eat, i don't sleep, i don't even get hungry. eating makes me nauseous, such a chore, and such a shame because normally, i love to eat, yum.

i noticed that when i'm hopped up on, say, coke, i don't eat either. i think it is a speed/mania thing. and i've read elsewhere, the experience of other manics here, that forgetting to eat is a feature of mania.

next time, instead of diet coke, why not drink the calorie-laden one and if you eat, try to make the most of it by intaking high-fat calorie items like fries, brownies, butter, etc.

Archived