CrazyBoards.org

Can depression be on and off within a day?

It makes no sense  but last night I was so low in my mood I did not want to shower or do anything. Cried my eyes out.

Then this morning. I  had to go to work but I just could not face it. I did not have the energy to face it.

So I went to my GP and she commented on how negative I'm being. She managed to get me an appointment to see a pdoc on friday.

But I did not feel I could wait so I went to A&E and as I got there I felt like I'm wasting their time as I no longer felt depressed.

But I spoke to the nurse there and he also commented on the negativity.

I can't get myself out of this cycle of negativity.

Call me paranoid if you want but I have this feeling no one at work likes me.

However much I know there is no proof for this.

And I know this is not true. But I can't stop this feeling of being disliked.

Normally it does not bother me how they feel about me.

Also a few days ago I was talking to my colleagues about life and relationships and all.

Then when I left work I had this overwhelming urge to quit my job and go travelling around the world. That same evening I got so low.

I can't control my moods at all. I can't decide on things or I make decisions and regret them later.

Like the other day I got a tattoo on my arm. Good thing it means something but I got it on an impulse and I am so scared I am going to regret it.

I don't know what to do because I am stuck in a rut.

I used to wake up and want to go to work.

But I just can't bare the thought of it.

I change between depressed and "fine" as far as I can tell, or happy/excited (usually that doesn't last longer than a few hours) pretty frequently.  I assume that's part of why I ended up with a NOS diagnosis.

Edited by cara23

Your subject -- can depression be on and off in a single day -- doesn't match your post which talks about being consistently depressed. 

I'm bipolar 2; without treatment I'm mildly depressed most of the time, then sometimes I get into a really good mood for a few days or weeks. When I would be in a good mood, I'd have all these fabulous idea for my life -- places to live in, careers to explore, skills to master. Psychiatrists misdiagnosed me with depression because those fabulous ideas seemed quite achievable for who and where I was -- but also because people identify the problem as being depressed, not having a lot of energy and optimism. So when you do talk to your p-doc, be sure to tell him/her/xim/xer about the 'highs' as well. 

Now that I am on meds, it's more stable -- I might be really depressed for a few hours. There's a current thread on CB now that's something like, "when do you feel worse" that has a few people talking about mood shifts. 

Pearly -

You might want to read some information on Bipolar Disorder, in which moods can in some cases cycle from low to high relatively quickly.  The 'high' mood doesn't have to be especially high, either, to qualify.  You might start by reading some of the posts in our Bipolar forum to see if you relate to the problems discussed by members posting there, and also Google the terms "Rapid cycling bipolar" for more in-depth information.

Seriously, I don't feel depressed all of the time. Like right now I'm not upset or crying. But I am extremely negative and I cannot shake this. I have a bipolar diagnosis along with schiz. The last time I got psychotic was almost 5 years ago. I have not had many highs and lows in between which is why I don't know if its bipolar.

Depression can be worse at time and better at times within one episode.  I tend to have bad mornings and okay nights even at my worst.

What you're describing, however, a constant feeling of negativity, sounds like depression.  It doesn't always have to be upset and crying.  I would say that, for me, my ability to cry is greatly diminished when I'm depressed (depending on the episode).

I can also have very agitated episodes where I feel  really bad by my main symptoms are irritability and anger.  Those, for me, are not straight depression-- they're more mixed with mania.

The short answer is, yes, you can be depressed and sometimes feel pretty okay.

It makes no sense  but last night I was so low in my mood I did not want to shower or do anything. Cried my eyes out.

Then this morning. I  had to go to work but I just could not face it. I did not have the energy to face it.

So I went to my GP and she commented on how negative I'm being. She managed to get me an appointment to see a pdoc on friday.

But I did not feel I could wait so I went to A&E and as I got there I felt like I'm wasting their time as I no longer felt depressed.

But I spoke to the nurse there and he also commented on the negativity.

I can't get myself out of this cycle of negativity.

Call me paranoid if you want but I have this feeling no one at work likes me.

However much I know there is no proof for this.

And I know this is not true. But I can't stop this feeling of being disliked.

Normally it does not bother me how they feel about me.

Also a few days ago I was talking to my colleagues about life and relationships and all.

Then when I left work I had this overwhelming urge to quit my job and go travelling around the world. That same evening I got so low.

I can't control my moods at all. I can't decide on things or I make decisions and regret them later.

Like the other day I got a tattoo on my arm. Good thing it means something but I got it on an impulse and I am so scared I am going to regret it.

I don't know what to do because I am stuck in a rut.

I used to wake up and want to go to work.

But I just can't bare the thought of it.

You could be having a mixed episode. The manic and depressive states don't have to be simultaneous, but can rapidly shift back and forth. I would often have mania for a day (or part of a day) and then be depressed the next (or later that day). It would often repeat like that for quite some time.

I learned to set aside the feelings that everyone hated me. I keep working like no one does and when I'm alone I remember this. 

And my depression is on and off. Sometimes mixed in the sense that I'm like "weee let's dance with binders" and then crying. But sometimes it just shifts between "okay-ish" to crappy. 

I learned to set aside the feelings that everyone hated me. I keep working like no one does and when I'm alone I remember this. 

And my depression is on and off. Sometimes mixed in the sense that I'm like "weee let's dance with binders" and then crying. But sometimes it just shifts between "okay-ish" to crappy.

Yeah, I get that too. Or it can go from manic or mixed to "okay-ish." For me, the pattern would usually repeat for a while before leading to a prolonged manic or mixed state then crashing into a soul-crushing depression. Then I'd have an extended period of "okay-ish" before the rapidly oscillating stuff started again.