CrazyBoards.org

sick enough for disability?

So I've been wondering if my illness is severe enough to apply for disability.  I've never been hospitalized, but my illnesses make it very difficult for me to work.  I was only able to keep my last job for 4 years because of fairly special circumstances.  It was part time (15 hours a week) and I was able to work completely alone without anyone bothering me.  Still, it was difficult for me to balance the job with the rest of my life and I know for a fact that it contributed to at least one major episode, requiring me to take time off work.  I eventually quit because the position became too complex for me to handle anymore: it was contributing to a major depression. And I know that working a regular 8-5 job would be straight out for me because I KNOW I can't handle the stress of working 40 hours a week and trying to run a family at the same time.  My sleep and eating will get all out of whack and then I'm in real trouble.  I just seriously doubt I'll ever be able to find a job  that is low stress enough that I'll be able to keep it.  I also have  trouble just managing my day to day life.  My house isn't unsanitary or anything, but it's a mess.  And I can't bring myself to cook most of the  time so we eat out a lot.  I just know that my illnesses severely affect my quality of life.  Being on disability would give me at least some income, which would be a mood boost since I wouldn't feel like a total loser who can't contribute to the family.  I'm just not sure if I should bother applying, since I'm not sure if I'm "sick enough".  I suppose it can't hurt to try, but I wanted to hear others' stories (not necessarily their medical opinion or anything) about their circumstances and the application process.

I worked part-time at a high stress job for six months, it landed me IP. While in IP (granted that was my 5th or 6th time being IP) the psychologist highly recommended me apply for disability and quit my job. She told me I needed to make a decision about my future (with the job) before being discharged so I could have my mind set and prepared. When I got out 8 days later, I quit my job. And went in for a disability interview to apply for SSI (I didnt have enough work credits for SSDI, however they determine if you are disabled by the same guidelines.) I submitted information about my IP stays (one included a suicide attempt), 2 years worth of medical records supporting my diagnosis, a neuropsychological evaluation, my family doctor records, and a psychiatric evaluation from my new pdoc at the time. I didnt have to submit the records myself: I just filled out a medical release form. I waited and waited and was approved in 5 months. If YOU think you need disability go for it, it cant hurt to apply!

I was in the hospital and too psychotic and out of it from meds to apply for disability. My mom and social worker had to apply for me. I was then sent to a state hospital for a year in after that. I have been to the hospital and a state hospital so many freaking times. I have wasted my youth. I have had so many suicide attempts too.  not fun. I have years of medical records too. My pdoc at the hospital totally supported me going on disability as did the social worker. I did not fill out any of the paper work so I can't help you there. I couldn't even work part-time and I think I would make more money working part-time to be honest. Not to mention the isolation. It sucks big time. Seriously consider it though if you think  you can't work at all or go to school at all.

It can't hurt to try. There's paperwork. The first time I saw the paperwork, I cried, because it seemed overwhelming, but my husband helped me.

i am on SSDI primarily for migraine, with BP as an ancillary claim. I have never been hospitalized.

I was in the hospital and too psychotic and out of it from meds to apply for disability. My mom and social worker had to apply for me.

^^Me too.  I was IP from trying to commit suicide too much , too stressed out, chronically depressed, impulsive, etc ... so I couldn't work.  Even as I switched from pdoc to pdoc (because of being IP, I had many pdocs), each one said no way to working.  Even the pdoc I have now says he does not want me working.

I live in Ontario, it's a bit different here.

I was declared permanently disabled when I was 19, and my doctor (my pdoc at the time) did everything for me because I was IP for the 4th time since I was 17, and I was having problems with meds (I got SJS from lamictal and had to switch). I didn't even know he had applied until I got a letter in the mail saying to come pick up backpay and my dental/drug insurance cards.

I know many people who haven't been hospitalized who have been approved. I've seen people who are very sick get declined. 

I live in Ontario, it's a bit different here.

I was declared permanently disabled when I was 19, and my doctor (my pdoc at the time) did everything for me because I was IP for the 4th time since I was 17, and I was having problems with meds (I got SJS from lamictal and had to switch). I didn't even know he had applied until I got a letter in the mail saying to come pick up backpay and my dental/drug insurance cards.

I know many people who haven't been hospitalized who have been approved. I've seen people who are very sick get declined. 

It's unfortunate to be disabled early. I had to drop out of college because I was IP during my 2nd year in college.

Although they say my SZA is permanent I get a disability review every 5 years to see if I still qualify.

I am hoping for a cure someday. It's hard to say when it's going to happen.

It's been 11 years and even though medications improved, I still can't work even 10 hours a week.

I was really happy when I qualified for disability. But they say there is no future with disability.