CrazyBoards.org

25 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking Curiousity?

• Do you smoke cigarettes and find them beneficial?
    • Do you smoke cigarettes and find them a drag?
    • Do you use e-cigarettes and find them beneficial?
    • Do you use e-cigarettes and find them a drag?
    • Do you not smoke, but you quit?
    • Do you not smoke and never have?

Hey everyone I'm an ex smoker recently turned in to an ecigarette user. I smoked cigarettes for maybe 13 years? over a decade atleast. Anyways, I noticed ecigarettes being beneficial for me in reducing stress and anxiety.

I know smoking is common among people like me, so I was wondering if anyone else transitioned to e-cigarettes and if so what has their experience been?

If not, are you a smoker? Do you find cigarettes help you out? I know I did when I used them. Last time I tried to quit I broke into full blown hallucinations and immense emotional instability after 24 hours. I ended up crawling to my closet and rolling a cigarette. Crawled outside and smoked it.

I've never made a poll before so I don't know if I did it right or not. Anyways I'm curious to hear anyones experiences.

I am one of two people in my immediate family who doesn't smoke. Used to be three but my stepfather died two and a half years ago. 

have partaken of cigarettes when I am drunk. For some reason if I am intoxicated I crave them and the smoke doesn't bother me. When I am sober enough cigarette smoke can make it very difficult for me to breathe due to sensory overload from the smell. 

I hate e-cigs, they just don't do it for me.

I smoke (menthol) and find it helps. I have to smoke outside (no smoking in rented units here) so I freeze my ass off 10 times a day..  I find smoking helps me sort out thoughts, and think. I get ideas. I'll take a break from knitting or coding and go out and smoke, and come back relaxed and ready to tackle it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :). I find it interesting how e-cigarettes work for some people, and just don't for others. I really appreciate all the non-smokers out there too!

I guess smoking is linked to "sensory gating" which is a thingy in psychotic disorders and autism spectrum. For me I can still become more focused and find a lot of relief in ecigarettes, so I was inclined to say nicotine must be behind it. But there's a lot of smokers who're saying no to e-cigarettes being helpful, so like anything else it's probably more complicated then I was thinking :).

Nicotine is also really effective for treating ADHD. Some company has been trying to engineer a form of nicotine that's not addictive to use in treating ADHD, but making it not addictive seems to also make it less effective.

My mother started smoking as a form of self-medication.

I think most mental illnesses are correlated with higher smoking rates, as well as ADHD (a developmental disability). Autism (another developmental disability) is correlated with lower rates, although I couldn't begin to guess why. I mean for me it's a sensory thing - I am very sensitive to the smoke, but I don't know why for other autistic people. I think schizophrenia is correlated with very high rates but I would have to research that again to be sure.

Edited by Bellatrix

It is difficult to determine whether tobacco actually helps symptoms. Part of this is because withdrawal symptoms can seem like mi symptoms returning, so it can seem like smoking is making the mi symptoms better, when it may just be easing the withdrawal symptoms.

I think there is a lot of debate about how safe vapor cigarettes are but I will admit that I'd be tempted to take them up if they were proven to be safe.

I used to smoke at parties when I was drunk, partially because all my friends smoked and I wanted to socialize with them. I made myself never buy a pack for myself, though, and I eventually got tired of being a bum.

I was at the mall today and it was really weird because I kept seeing people smoking e cigarettes or vapor cigarettes inside.

There is definitely a correlation between smoking and mi. I think 44 % of all smokers are mentally ill, and (supposedly) only about 10 or 15% of the total population has a diagnosed mental illness.

Scizophrenic people have the highest rate of smoking. A majority of people with that diagnosis, perhaps more than 75%, are smokers. The rate is also very high among people with a bipolar diagnosis.

Sorry, I just went to a training on smoking cessation for the mentally ill.

Edited by koa

I've smoked for the last ten years, maybe.  Started using a vape last year and haven't looked back, I feel so much better without all the tar and shit (I smoked kreteks/cloves exclusively, shitty I know) and can increase or decrease nicotine levels in the juice as needed.  So much love.

I know bad haiku. Lately my body/brain have felt way better. Also it's nice not to stink like cigarettes when I sit down next to a stranger. I still like the smell of smoke and stuff, but I know some people are don't. Not having to go outside in negative temperatures to choke down a cigarette hehehe. I'm not looking back either. Gave my cigarette roller to a friend at school :).

Those cloves, yikes. I bet you feel way better after the transition!

I am smoking for more than 10 years (heavy or occasional depending on my mental situation). After my episode I quit the regular cigarette and have smoked e-cigarettes for about 6 months. Then I started to smoking both regular and e-cigs! :)

after some months I quit the e-cig ...

Since e-cigs are relatively new products, there aren't enough study to prove or disprove their disdvantages and/or risks.

http://www.sciencealert.com/e-cigarette-vapour-damages-the-immune-system-of-mice

Anyway, I am smoking cigarettes because I like them and if it helps me to die earlier I would be grateful since I want this hell of suffering called "Life" to finish as soon as possible.

I've quit smoking for 2 years and some months, but took up smoking again 3 months ago. Now I'm trying to quit, and use a Vapour pen with low nicotine. I'm close to quit smoking definitly, but my condidtion doesn't allow it fully. I still get anxious. But I am strong that I'll do it. And also, the cigarettes cause very bad inflamation in my throat.

I've used both and find them both beneficial for different things. Cigarettes are great for reducing stress and getting a rush, but e-cigarretes (with or without niccotine) is very calming if I'm angry or bordering panic attack

(I don't have psychosis or Schizophrenia so tell me to piss off if necessary) I smoke because of my industry (catering). If you want a break, you smoke. Non-smokers might get something to eat every 6 hours, but pretty much every chef, boss or manager lets you have a cigarette. I really want to try e-cigs or what have you because I have health anxiety. I think I started just because I have social anxiety as well and it meant I could always go outside and not talk to people. 

• 3 weeks later...

my quit date is in my signature, using vaporisers

you get what you pay for, i just spent $410 usd on my latest ecig mod

tapatalk_1426028393922_zpsynjo7s70.jpeg

25mg/ml nicotine, up to 12ml a day

i used swedish snus to help transition and get the tobacco alkaloids that vaping skips [tobacco contains small amounts of MAOIs among other things]

i was a 70 a day smoker

it is not cheaper FWIW despite what people say

• 3 weeks later...