CrazyBoards.org

I can't watch the news really, or hear about horrible things that happen in the world without getting overwhelmed with sadness.

When I'm chucking out the plants or bacteria I have been using at work (I work in a lab) I feel bad for them because they have helped me and now I'm just sending them to die.

I am avoiding some friends because I can't deal with hearing about their stresses at the moment, which is kind of horrible of me.

When someone is frustrated with me or even if I just make a mistake I feel like hiding and crying and I hate myself for being a horrible and useless person.

I have always been kind of sensitive -  the sort of kid who would cry inconsolably at one harsh word - but I haven't always been this bad. I was relatively callous as a teenager! 

I feel raw. I want to hide and protect myself from hurting like this all the time but other than hiding in my room all day that isn't really possible.

Is there anything that can help?

To me it sounds like when I get depressed.  Like everything will cause me to be weepy.  One of the things my pdoc does is increase the prozac and I usually feel better after a couple of days.  Maybe ask your pdoc for a med tweak?

I'm sorry you are feeling like this.  It totally sucks.

When it comes to things like strange attachments to objects or things (OCD thing in my case) I try to rationalise it by saying 'this has no feelings, it doesn't care where it ends up'. As for plants and such, unless they are so rare that they are worth conserving, the species will do just fine without one little plant. Sometimes you have to focus on your own concerns in order to help other people later on. It's better to be a friend who needs a break than to suffer in silence because you aren't taking care of yourself. I know what you mean for it to feel very personal and raw, sometimes you have to give yourself permission to let things go and to say if I can't do anything directly at the moment it isn't a top priority. 

I really need to just let it go when it comes to little plant-y things. They aren't rare, they're weeds.(Usually found in vacant lots.) I put it in though because it shows how ridiculous the sensitivity thing gets.

I do feel worst about the avoiding friends thing. So, um, thanks for reassuring me on that one.

I need to phone up and ask for an appointment tomorrow, about adding or changing meds.

It's nice to see you around seashells!

I isolate when I feel depressed, too. I'm opposite to you: the more depressed I am, the more emotionally numb I get. But I get what you mean about avoiding friends because you can't take on their complaints and stresses. Depression makes it hard to listen or "be there" for people. For me it's family, since I don't really have any friends as such. Same difference, though. 

Would some of your friends understand if you told them the truth? How do you think they'd respond if you told them you wanted to spend time with them, but it needed to be more lighthearted or low-stress? 

Edited by The Dead Guy

I feel like that during PMS. It's a real thing, folks. And if I'm feeling overwhelmed AND have PMS? I'm instantly in crises.

What helps is to keep doing things even when I feel I can't. It's after my emotions start to level again that I begin to gain confidence in myself in being capable of handling my emotions.

I probably should talk to my friends about why I'm avoiding them, instead of just avoiding them. That would be the sensible thing to do.

I feel like that during PMS. It's a real thing, folks. And if I'm feeling overwhelmed AND have PMS? I'm instantly in crises.

What helps is to keep doing things even when I feel I can't. It's after my emotions start to level again that I begin to gain confidence in myself in being capable of handling my emotions.

Like, a fake it til you make it thing? Well, I sort of am doing that at work. I think with friends I should really push myself to just talk to them a bit more. It might help.