CrazyBoards.org

Does this regiment of meds sound off?

Hi all! Trying to get to the bottom of the weird episode I've been in the past 2-3 months. Seems that I have to do a lot of my own research and bring my ideas to him since he doctor doesn't know what to do with me. (I know I need a new doctor).

I know none of you can tell me what to do, and I know we're all different, but I think that the most valuable thoughts and ideas come from places like this, from people who have been there and can relate. Was hoping I could lay out my diagnosis and meds to you and see what you think about the combination. My meds have been a slow build over a 10 year period between 3 different doctors.

I talked to a friend's brother this morning who is a well versed doctor, but not a psychiatrist. His take was that I was on too much medication and that mix may be messing me up.

Diagnosis: general anxiety disorder, panic, major depressive, bipolar type 2, trichotillomania (hair pulling)

Psych meds: geodon 40 mg., zoloft 75 mg., remeron 22.5 mg, liquid lithium citrate 100 mg. every other night (I know, it's a weird tiny dose) and ativan 1/2 mg. three times a day.

I also take a lot of antihistamines for automimmune urticaria (a mast cell allergy disorder)

Thank you :-)

Edited by Britton

That's a goodly amount of medication, but unfortunately, not a shocking amount. Doctors who are not psychiatrists always think mentally ill people are taking too many meds. But psychiatry is all about poly-pharmacy. Pdocs have far more training in medications, both psycho-active and not, than the average Dr in other fields.

That doesn't necessarily mean you aren't on too many meds for *you,* or that they are the right meds for *you.* Just letting you know that you can't really go by what a Dr in another branch of medicine thinks about the number of meds. I'm on 4 meds, and I'm finally euthymic (on an even keel). The other meds on my list are for migraine.

iti is almost impossible for others to determine what is a good cocktail. They are so individual. I have had other types of doctors and therapists question my meds, but 3 pdocs agree it is reasonable and it seems to work for me. I would not begin to guess about yours.

I believe it's less about how much medication you are taking and more about what is working for you. I only take 2 meds for mine right now, but I take 3 other meds for other things. My mom has high blood pressure, she takes 3 meds for it alone. I'd just stick with what works and not get caught up on how many it takes to get you there.

Are all of those diagnoses current? I ask because it would be peculiar to be diagnosed with major depression (do you mean MDD?) and bipolar. You can really only have one or the other.

It would be good to sort that out, because looking at your other diagnoses, you might benefit from a different anti-depressant, perhaps an SSRI. They are good for anxiety and depression, but doctors often hesitate to give them to bipolar patients because they can sometime increase the risk of mania. It's something to think about, anyway.

I'm afraid none of us are in your body and we don't know how each med is affecting you. It might be that you just need one little thing to pull you out of this episode, it might be that you need a complete meds overhaul.

But having read your previous thread it's clear you're not in a good place and something needs to be done. How quickly can you get an appointment with another pdoc?

The only thing I would say is it doesn't seem like you're on a high dose of any of the meds, even though you're on a few. If you think one has helped you in the past, perhaps you could suggest increasing it instead of adding yet another medication? Just an idea, but I know my pdoc very much thought if something was helping, but hadn't got me out of the episode yet, then she kept upping the dose until I reached the top dose that worked for me/was allowed, before adding another medication..

Hope you're feeling better soon

Thank you all for your replies.

As far as a diagnosis, on paper I'm not quite sure, but what I am definitely more than ever believing is bipolar 2 and panic/anxiety.

Retrospectively, I can relate to bipolar from an early age (I'm 38 now) I can vividly remember having racy thoughts at times, especially when trying to go to sleep. I have also had trichotillomania since I was 8, kind of an OCD thing. But my true psychological roller coaster didn't begin until after I gave birth to my son 10 1/2 years ago. I went from an excited, healthy pregnant woman to a very dark place overnight. I was diagnosed with postpartum....but it never went away.

The first doctor I saw said bipolar 2, and at the time I didn't want to hear that. It scared me, and I was not educated enough, so it did not resonate with me, so I changed doctors.

The next doctor diagnosed me major depressive and GAD (I liked that diagnosis better, lol!) That's when I got on zoloft. After a few bad years on that, he added geodon. Geodon gave me an immediate lift. It was awesome. I felt really good on that combo for about 3 years until 5 years ago when I had an episode similar to what I am going through now. After some trial and error I was put on remeron for sleep which worked amazingly until 4 months ago. Changed doctors again and was given a loose diagnosis of bipolar 2 4 years ago. That's when we added the lithium to the mix. I couldn't tolerate regular doses, so we ended up compounding it and that's how I got on the weird dose of 100 mg every other night. I don't know what it does or doesn't do for me.

But I can say this, there are big bipolar red flags flying all over right now. I go from extemely, sometimes manic, scrambled and irritable to sad, scared, detached and anxiety sometimes panic. I am a train wreck and I need I want off. I am so uncomfortable in my skin, I truly want to crawl out of it. My symtoms are both very physical and mental. Seems that I am in a mixed state, but the length of time this has been going on, 2 1/2 months, has me wondering what the heck?

My geodon was upped from 20 mg to 40 mg about a month ago. Seemed to work great for about 10 days, but then I feel back into the hole.

Here's a weird, or not so weird thing...I take my meds at 5 pm (I count the hours down all day long, pretty sad existence) About an hour to two hours later, I usually get some relief and have a relatively good night with my family, but come morning, same shit all over again....so something is at least going a little right with my meds I think.

One last thing, I have just recently read that geodon is intended as a twice a day medication. Is this true? I only take it at night. Since my dose has been upped, I take 20 mg at 5 pm and other 20 mg between 8-9 pm.

Gearhead- I am very interested in the whole bipolar/zoloft connection. Honestly, I have always questioned zoloft. It never made me feel good, and actually, I think, made me worse until geodon was added.

Thanks again!

Edited by Britton

I just wanted to chime in and say that it is hard to tell if meds are good or not for someone because everyone reacts differently to different combinations.  What counts is that if they are working or not for you.  I've been told by a former general DR that I was "over-medicated," which I might seem to be (see sig for med list), but everything together works to keep me stable.

I know, we're all different. I know how hard it is for me to find medications I can even tolerate let alone finding ones that actually work for me.

Katie.goodair~ I do need to get to the bottom of whether or not I need a med adjustment or med overhaul. I've never changed things up much since starting my meds. It's been for of an additional thing rather going off and trying new things.

I believe that part of the problem is that I am afraid of change. Even though I feel terrible and I know I'm not right, I'm afraid of going off med/meds and trying something different. It's part of my anxiety. Afraid of the unknown. Afraid of feeling worse than I already do. I really need to get over this. If I could find a knowledgable and caring pdoc, I believe change and experiment would be easier for me. I beleive I come off as unwilling to change to the doctors, stubborn. What they don't understand is that it's coming from fear and that I do not mean to be difficult.:-/

Edited by Britton

I saw my psychatrist today.

We firmly decided that I am bipolar 2. It has always been a loose diagnosis, but it appears that I am in a mixed state right now.

I am currently on 75 mg. zoloft. As many of you have said to me already, he brought up the point that zoloft could be making things worse for me.

The only thing that's makes me question the zoloft thing is that I had about 3 very stable years on a combination on Zoloft and geodon from 2007- end of 2009. But when I was on Zoloft alone from 2004-2007 I was in a dark hole of depression. Adding the geodon snapped me out of it immediately.

I'm going to go down to 50 mg zoloft and hold there until I see him again in 5 weeks - wish it were sooner, but he's out of the office all but one week a month these days.

I am also on geodon 40 mg. I take a 20 mg pill around 5 pm and another at about 8 pm. He doesn't want me to do two things at once, but after a few weeks, he wants to spit my geodon and take 20 mg am and 20 mg pm.

I'm really hoping to get control of this instability soon. I can't take it anymore :-(

Would be a god send if coming down on Zoloft could help. Praying and keeping me fingers crossed!

Is zoloft typically worse for bipolar than remeron? I'm on both.

Edited by Britton