CrazyBoards.org

Ugh...have to see the pdoc again

I went to see my tdoc yesterday.  I have been having difficulty sleeping for the past two weeks ( going to bed around 3-4 in the morning).  She wants me to get him to prescribe me a sleeping aid to get me to sleep so I can get back on schedule.

I know getting back on schedule is a good thing and I know if I continue the way I am I probably am either going to get sick or head directly for hypomania land.  The thing is right now anything would feel better than this depression I'm in.

Maybe my pdoc can adjust my meds so I can get out of this funk.  I only hope that this time he treats me like an adult and not like a three year old.  The last time I saw him was for my initial bp diagnosis and he spent most of the time telling me not to worry (I had already talked with my tdoc so I had pretty much come to terms with the fact that I was probably somewhere on the bp spectrum), then he went into this long lecture on the fact that he believes that bp I is the only "real" bipolar disorder and that all the rest are just deviations off of normality and that he didn't want to label me (my tdoc was the one who explained that my symptoms fit bpII), and then he prescribed Depakote without telling me any of the side effects or how it is used!

Lack of sleep is very dangerous for us bipolar-types, so your tdoc is right in sending you to the pdoc.  Sorry though that he sounds like a bit of an idiot.  The only thing I can think of is for you to write some notes to take in with you- eg what form your sleep difficulties take (the fact that you're still up at 4 in the morning), and questions about the sleep aid he's going to prescribe you (what time should you take it, what are the side effects, does its efficacy wear off after a while, etc etc).  Also make a note of any questions you may still have about the depakote and your dosage.  Tell him you've done this and would like to go through all the points in your notes before he leaves.

Good luck!

Thanks! I wrote down several questions to ask him this time and he was a lot more helpful.  He prescribed some Ativan which I can titrate up to 4 mg if I need it.  Hopefully this will help.

Lack of sleep is very dangerous for us bipolar-types, so your tdoc is right in sending you to the pdoc.

Archived