CrazyBoards.org

Tegretol/Carbatrol/Equetro question

I'm taking Tegretol. I started at 100mg in August and I'm up to 500mg by now. Had a terrible time with it at first, now barely notice I'm taking it...in both a good and bad way I guess.

Yeah, it took forever to go up to 500mg, but strangely my blood level stayed the same all the way through. My pdoc's trying to get it up to the middle of the therapeutic range in terms of blood concentration (I'm on the lower end). He does mention often that many people take up to 1200mg, which I hate because I think that he wants me to get that high before calling it quits.

Does it help? imo, not at all. I was suicidal/mixed, one of my worst episodes ever, at 400mg. I get more help from the 50mg of lamictal I so much had to beg for. I wish I could get off the Tegretol as I feel it's useless. I may be taking not so much of it but I am at therapeutic blood level and it's no good at all. Not that it can't be effective for others, as always, YMMV.

But at least I have no side effects.

because of the way the body processes tegretol & friends, the actual dose you take is less important than your blood levels, which is why it's important to get your levels checked. 600 is the low dose range of theraputic, i believe - but again, how you personally get along with tegretol is more important than the number on your tablets.

also, because of the way the body processes the drug, you will ultimately need to up your dosages, because one of tegretol's functions is to make the body better at processing tegretol. whether and how  much you smoke and drink and what you eat and when affects your body's processing of tegretol, too. it's ever so fun!

Archived