CrazyBoards.org

Relapse or Medication mix up?

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or under meds. I missed my pills two days over the weekend (Friday & Sunday) and by Wednesday I had gone from stable to crashing hard. Is that even possible? I feel so stupid mentioning this to my doctor in case there is no relationship between the two. I fear I'm having a relapse.

If you miss your meds, do you feel it like that? How long does it take to bounce back?

The half lives of Pristiq, Abilify and Lithium are 10 hours, 24 hours and 75 to 94 hours respectively.  It is possible that you were experiencing symptoms from a drop in Pristiq or Lithium, but if you took them on Monday like usual, I don't think you would have experienced what you're describing.  I think its more likely that you were having breakthrough symptoms.  I think you should call your doctor if you're still feeling bad.  There's nothing to feel stupid about; missing meds happens.

Thank you. I'm seeing my doctor next Friday and going on vacation between now and then. I'm sort of stuck for the time being. I honestly don't want to be anything but better when I see her next so I'm really hoping this is just a blip.

Missing meds can do weird things-- it could even be withdrawal effects days later. 

I'd get back on your meds ASAP and see what happens. It could be a breakthrough, a blip, or missing your meds.  It's hard to tell.

Because it happened so soon after you missed meds I'd be more inclined to blame it on missing the meds than anything, and because that's the simplest explanation.

If you're not feeling well in a few more days as your meds get back up to their normal level, then it's probably breakthrough symptoms.

No matter what, seeing your pdoc as soon as you can is a good idea.

Edited by dianthus

I agree with getting in touch with your pdoc about how  you feel.  Can you call your pdoc to at least let him/her know what is going on before you go away?  Maybe s/he has some suggestions.

When I miss pills for a couple days, but then start taking them again as usual, after that I have never had a problem with symptoms.  I'm more likely to have symptoms after the 2nd day of missed meds than days later.

Unfortunately I only have a Family doctor and I haven't seen her in almost 3 months. I see a therapist every couple of weeks though.

My only option is the ER and I'm taking my family on a mini vacation next week. It's like I can't screw up AGAIN by getting put on another psychiatric hold for 72 hours. I'd disappoint them so much. :( instead I'm holding onto hope that this is just a temporary set back. I was doing really well.

Is there any possibility of seeing a psychiatrist? You have multiple diagnoses and are on three psych meds - it would seem prudent.

I can only speak from my own experience, that no - missing two doses has never caused me to crash. Missing two doses in a row might cause some withdrawal symptoms though depending on the med. But you didn't miss two in a row. And your crash was days later.

I will say I've had lots of breakthrough symptoms even when stable. And especially early in recovery there can be real ups and downs. It doesn't necessarily mean you've lost all the gains you've made. How long have you been on the meds? Been stable?

I need a psychiatrist, desperately, but the way it seems to work where I live is consultation and then pushed back to your family doctor with recommendations.

When my family doctor wants me urgently seen by a psychiatrist I get sent to the ER where I'm admitted. I get help for a few weeks and then I'm discharged with my list of meds and new diagnosis. It's frustrating as hell.

My Pristiq was just raised to 200 in November. 150 in September otherwise I'd been on 100 mg for at least a year and a half before that.

I've been on Lithium for a year and a half but my level is low as of my last blood test. Hospital had dropped me from 1500 mg to 1200 mg in September.

Abilify has generally been the same for 2 years.

Feeling stable since November, for the first time in 3 years of bad OCD/MDD breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up - Dr. reluctantly thinks (but I don't think truely believes) I was hypomanic for the time that I thought I felt better because I went on a frantic shopping spree maxing out all forms of credit. As well, I slept less, got caught up in tearing apart our basement and generally because I thought thinks were going awesome compared to only a month before when I was on here posting I couldn't take it anymore. 

Well I'm back to not being able to take it. The "up" was not long enough for me. Only 6-8 weeks long and now I'm back in a state of complete depression with severe suicidal ideation. I have no one to talk to other than my doctor and therapist. It seems like that would be enough but I only see them 1-2 times in a month. My family is DONE with me being unwell. They can't know how far I've fallen or it will likely mean divorce. I tried a crisis line last night and that was a huge bust.

What am I going to do? There has to be a point when this will end? When I'll be stable. I feel like that should have happened by now.

I need to be inpatient.  I know that in my heart but I'm fighting it. I'd need to go on Long Term Disability and I'm not even sure I'd be approved because I was just off. I'm honestly not sure how much longer my employer will put up with me and I'm not sure how much longer my FAMILY will put up with me.

A med change sounds so scary on the outside. :(

Keep in mind that inpatient stays are typically 1 week, less often 2 weeks.  It's not a long-term thing for most people, so you may not need long term disability.

People take a week of for the flu, or for surgeries.

The thing is, if you don't address this stuff aggressively now, it probably won't get better for you and will cause more issues with work and family.  That's been my experience.

HR rules at my company are you have to apply for disability after 3 days off in a row. I've already taken short term disability (in September) so I think all I have left is long term. So I'm kinda screwed.

I agree that I need help now otherwise it will get worse. 2 weeks until my next appointment where I'll discuss this all with my doctor. Seems like a lifetime away.

The thing is, if you don't address this stuff aggressively now, it probably won't get better for you and will cause more issues with work and family.  That's been my experience.

Also, the longer you take to address this, it might take longer to get under control/stability.

2 weeks until my next appointment where I'll discuss this all with my doctor. Seems like a lifetime away.

I would not wait two weeks.  Call you doctor, make an emergency appointment, or just show up at the IP hospital for an intake.

In my area, the hospitals do their own intakes so doctors can't really do anything anyway.

Two weeks is way too long to wait to treat this if you want to be functional as soon as you can be.

I need a few nights away. If I go tonight I can manage a 72 hour hold plus 1 business day to insist on being let out before work on Tuesday. They won't be able to do anything during that time but at least I'll be safe & secure and get to talk to a psychiatrist.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw my family doctor yesterday and not a surprise, she wants me to consider going IP. This is after I told her I'd been experimenting whith sharp objects and my wrist (I can't seem to cut deep enough no matter what I'm' using) and that I hate my daughter, my partner, my home and my work. I'm surprised she didn't send me against my will.

Now I'm left to "consider". The thing is, I haven't had good results from IP treatment and I know someone said above it's only a week or two but my stays have been LONG. Up to 7 or 8 weeks. I need to have a job at the end of this and taking a nother LOA is not going to help!!!

Edited by jdz