CrazyBoards.org

Sorry for starting a new thread - I feel like I'm posting a lot lately - but as I trust you lot and you give great advice I feel this is one of the best places to go to for support. Double-spacing this otherwise it's an enormous wall of text.

As I don't own this apartment so can't screw an extra bolt lock into the door, do you think a door stop would prevent someone with a key getting in? It freaks me out that any of the Residental Advisors can just walk through my door any time they want. 

I have virtually no sense of smell. I thought it must be a having no thyroid thing, but I read somewhere it's not uncommon in schizophrenia?

Does anyone here know anything about the disability support pension in Australia? I'd prefer to not go on it, as it feels like (to me), admitting defeat of a sort - although if I find I can only manage to work 10 hours a week it might be worth a shot to help with expenses.

The psychiatrist also reiterated, given my strong difficulties with study last semester, that I have a back up plan in case study this semester doesn't work out (even though it's part time). I am hoping once I get started on abilify things will improve, but it helps to have something just in case. Several people have suggested trade school, (although after attempting to enrol at a local tafe it was a complete nightmare for weeks on end until I just gave up). Others have suggested programming/web development and the like, although given my difficulties with concentration/attention and memory, learning anything new is a bit of a struggle at the moment - besides that, I wouldn't have the foggiest as to where to start. I have contemplated becoming a bakers apprentice (the wages are a bit of a disincentive), although I don't know if the hours/irregular sleep schedule is going to set off my symptoms.

Has anyone tested going off inflammatory/allergenic foods such as gluten and dairy to see if it helps with symptoms?

Those of you who are classified as high functioning, how has your experience been dealing with your illness and navigating the mental health system? 

Has anyone found their handwriting has deteriorated considerably? Or other motor skills? I have always found fiddly things like folding paper/cardboard a real struggle, but I have noticed lately my handwriting is atrocious, whereas it used to be quite neat. (Mind you, it's probably a practice thing, although I know writing neatly would require 10x more effort than it used to).

Do any of you do sports (just out of personal curiousity)?

My handwriting is horrible now. But I can still write okay if I try! And I understand, nail art is difficult now. Such little canvases. Such clumsy fingers. 

I like door stops. The sound they make is horrible. 

I try all the time and then I eat that food again. 

And my experience is that sometimes I'm not taken seriously with what I say I feel. I've had my conditions minimized by some. 

I am sorry. I don't know how to answer most of your questions. I don't so sports. It sounds fun, I just am not in shape.

I don't know how my functioning is assessed but I think everyone feels I should be okay. They take me seriously. Don't dumb things down. I don't work, I do volunteer and may try working if I can find something that doesn't seem too stressful. I think I am doing as well as I am because i have little stress.

My handwriting has already been bad. i don't notice changes with motor skills but I am having trouble with memory. It may be a side effect

Thanks for the spacing :)  I have trouble otherwise

Sometimes I post a lot and sometimes little, it depends on where I am at.

Edited by confused

Sorry for starting a new thread - I feel like I'm posting a lot lately - but as I trust you lot and you give great advice I feel this is one of the best places to go to for support. Double-spacing this otherwise it's an enormous wall of text.

As I don't own this apartment so can't screw an extra bolt lock into the door, do you think a door stop would prevent someone with a key getting in? It freaks me out that any of the Residental Advisors can just walk through my door any time they want. 

I hang a small wind chime on the door knob so when it is opened I know someone is coming in (invited or not).  Otherwise I jam the door knob with a crutch against the wall so it can't be opened.

I have virtually no sense of smell. I thought it must be a having no thyroid thing, but I read somewhere it's not uncommon in schizophrenia?

I haven't heard of this, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Does anyone here know anything about the disability support pension in Australia? I'd prefer to not go on it, as it feels like (to me), admitting defeat of a sort - although if I find I can only manage to work 10 hours a week it might be worth a shot to help with expenses.

The psychiatrist also reiterated, given my strong difficulties with study last semester, that I have a back up plan in case study this semester doesn't work out (even though it's part time). I am hoping once I get started on abilify things will improve, but it helps to have something just in case. Several people have suggested trade school, (although after attempting to enrol at a local tafe it was a complete nightmare for weeks on end until I just gave up). Others have suggested programming/web development and the like, although given my difficulties with concentration/attention and memory, learning anything new is a bit of a struggle at the moment - besides that, I wouldn't have the foggiest as to where to start. I have contemplated becoming a bakers apprentice (the wages are a bit of a disincentive), although I don't know if the hours/irregular sleep schedule is going to set off my symptoms.

Has anyone tested going off inflammatory/allergenic foods such as gluten and dairy to see if it helps with symptoms?

No, I haven't, but I try my best to eat very little of gluten and dairy.  I've heard of this helping with symptoms too, but don't know anyone who has done it to confirm it.

Those of you who are classified as high functioning, how has your experience been dealing with your illness and navigating the mental health system? 

Idk if I am considered high functioning or not, but in the beginning my mother helped me.  Then as the meds stabilized me I was and am still now able to navigate the mental health system.

Has anyone found their handwriting has deteriorated considerably? Or other motor skills? I have always found fiddly things like folding paper/cardboard a real struggle, but I have noticed lately my handwriting is atrocious, whereas it used to be quite neat. (Mind you, it's probably a practice thing, although I know writing neatly would require 10x more effort than it used to).

With the tremors my handwriting is like chicken scratch sometimes.  Other times it comes out legible.  No rhyme or reason to being chicken scratch or not, but most of the time it is barely legible.

I usually walk in the mornings.  Haven't for awhile though.

Answers in blue.

Edited by melissaw72

I would try it. Couldn't hurt right?

Never heard of the sense of smell thing. I have a decent sense of smell I think.

I just know about the U.S. system for disability, sorry.

I think trying school part time and or a trade school is an excellent idea if you are more high functioning to hold a job.

No. I don't think that would help me personally.

I am not considered high functioning. But I do have a lot of support from the county to remain in the community and hopefully out of the state hospitals long term.

I knit and crochet so my handwriting is ok. I use my hands almost daily for art and craft activities.

No I don't play any sports. I am clumsy and fumble around. I hate them actually and am horrible at them. I try to exercise though still at a gym or go for walks.

My answers are all in there. I don't know how to write in blue or bold text. Sorry! Hopefully you can still read my answers.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Does anyone here know anything about the disability support pension in Australia?

Your payment is DSP payment rates + clean energy supplement + something additional, which comes to about $806/fortnight or so if you're getting the full amount [i was on a partial DSP, so I can't tell you the exact number for the full payment.]

As for getting it - there's lots of paperwork. Your doctor will have to fill out a form listing your diagnosis/diagnoses, the treatment you've had [medication history, any hospitalisations], what difficulties you experience, etc. It can be confronting to read but your doctor will be writing from the perspective of when you are at your worst. Then Centrelink will book you in for an assessment and to work out if you qualify according to their impairment table. Here is a possibly-outdated copy

If you are under 35 and you qualify for the DSP, you need to have regular meetings with someone from Centrelink to formulate an "activity plan". If you're already studying then that's okay, they like that. You can work up to 30hrs/week before your DSP is stopped. Theoretically they are meant to review you after every two years but that depends on their mood. 

No to sports. I have horrible eye-hand coordination.

My handwriting is pretty bad. It used to be really neat, but it's gotten much worse. I can still write neatly if I try, though.

I still have my sense of smell.

No to going off foods with gluten in them.

Not sure if I'm classed as "high functioning", but in my opinion, I am, and I've been doing pretty well. (:

I only have a few minutes so I will answer the easy questions.

I have never played sports. I've always sucked at them.

I haven't tried going off gluten or anything, though I've heard this could help.

My handwriting is about the same as it was before the sza. A little sloppy but not bad.

My sense of smell is fine.