CrazyBoards.org

Mixed Episode?

Crying one minute due to some very negative thoughts. Want to die. Badly! Awful. Teary!!! at a restaurant. Then change my thoughts because my friend was having a meltdown at the same restaurant and i turned right around to support her, then a little low but better . then become super excited thinking about some new changes in my life with job and home.  good conversation with friend and feel better, then upset with negative thoughts and how bad i will always feel. and depressed again -- teary. Then irritable, snappy with the cashier, then normal. then laughing a lot at this sitcom. probably laughing harder at this show then i normally would. Is this mixed episode?

I am keeping a mood journal for my psych appointment. But wanted thoughts from you based your experiences and knowledge

Edited by Christine123

We really can't diagnose over the internet here.

Have you experienced mixed mania in the past?  What's your history with mania? 

Have you looked at the DSM criteria for a mixed episode?  Do you fit that criteria?  When did this start and how long has it lasted?

These are just a few questions that you and your doctor will probably go over to determine what's going on. 

Thanks so much for your reply! Much appreciated that you replied to my post.

I have been diagnosed BP 2 and we have discussed mixed episodes. based on what i reported to her about my symptoms,  she believes i have mixed episodes. she never really explained what that was or why she believed that. i didn't really ask either. i just wonder if this is what it is. Although i know you can't diagnose here.

i am all over the map and wonder if this related to by BP 2 and I am trying to decipher what's what. I wonder if when i told her my symptoms, that this is what she meant when she said "mixed." My moods all over the place. crying and wanting to die one minute, then thinking totally rationally the next, then super excited, then back down.

I want to add that this happens very often. I keep a mood journal.

I go between this, then agonizing torturous depression, some balance then moments of extremely high adrenaline and being wired. Times like today, milder versions of these emotions are taking place.

Just wondering i guess what others who have mixed episodes experience?

Edited by Christine123

I experience agitated depression. I have a lot of energy, but am weeping depressed. I have rages. I want to crawl out of my skin. I have tantrums.

It turns out some of my very bad mixed episodes were dysphoric mania.

Some people switch back and forth between poles, but that has not been my experience.

I don't know what you are experiencing, it is different than my experience. Which doesn't mean all that much.

It's really hard to say what's going on, but it sounds like your doc is labeling this sort of thing as dysphoric mania or a mixed state.

I will feel "okay" in the space of a day,  but I don't go from irritable to laughing, for instance.  But from what I've read, that's not uncommon for people in an episode.

The only thing I can really add is that this sort of thing can get out of hand pretty fast, so if you can get in to see your doc ASAP, it  would be wise.

This is all going on in the same day! Which is nuts!!!

THat is a lot for one day. I generally only get one or two mood states within any one day during a mixed episode. I think there are other people here who have more, however. It must be exhausting being on such a wild roller coaster ride. You might ask your pdoc for an atypical antipsychotic if you're not already on one. Sometimes they can snuff out a mixed episode.

Just wanted to say I can completely relate to what you're going through. My moods used to be all over the place. I would snap from so angry to feeling on top of the world then suicidal then normal all in a day. I was diagnosed with mixed episodes, and put on an atypical antipsychotic as well as the antidepressant I was already on. It helped straighten out my moods so much. I still get lots of changes but I'm much more rational and calm, the moods are much milder. We are now actually querying whether my mood swings are mixed episodes or BPD, due to the fact my moods never have an obvious end or beginning, just sort of come and go from one day to the next. But anyways as I say, I know how you feel, and I hope you get it sorted soon with your Pdoc.