CrazyBoards.org

Better talk to your doctor I think. Although ask your self how you feeling at the moment. Maybe considering you have bipolar, it doesn't really matter if it's type 2 or 1...doctors can never get that one right, it could be affective psychosis...I don't know, it deepens in your mood if not it could be medication. I'm not a doctor so that's all I can say just talk to your pdoc.

I hope it stops since it's bothering you. :)

Edited by StJimmy9151

It may be a certain type of hallucination. I would say this would be likely since you experience it when just waking or going to sleep.

The two kinds are defined as hypnagogic, which occur as you are about to fall asleep. And hypnopompic, as you are just waking up.

It is generally not considered a sign of a SZ disorder or psychosis. It actually happens to a lot of people who are otherwise not MI.

Definitely bring this up with your dr though and ask if this is what you may be experiencing.

Hope that helps.

I've had that happen to me several times, including when I was a young child. It was during the Vietnam war, and one time, I saw a lot of soldiers under a rainbow, and this voice saying, "MEN!" I was 4 or 5, so you can see it made an impression on me. I've also heard "dogs," "shit," "mother," and other things. I know a lot of people find it very scary, but I find it really interesting.

I've mentioned that I was waking up to hallucinated jazz music and/ or theme songs from sitcoms.

This first happened when I was six and horrible shit was happening

In 2008 it came back, and ...same sitcom theme songs from the 70's.

Good times...( ba-dum ting!)

I eventually directed my KLSD radio...why not?

it was coming from inside my head, after all.

Stress- related randomness in my case.

Your doc probably will not be terrifically concerned, but mention it.

It may be a certain type of hallucination. I would say this would be likely since you experience it when just waking or going to sleep.

The two kinds are defined as hypnagogic, which occur as you are about to fall asleep. And hypnopompic, as you are just waking up.

It is generally not considered a sign of a SZ disorder or psychosis. It actually happens to a lot of people who are otherwise not MI.

Definitely bring this up with your dr though and ask if this is what you may be experiencing.

Hope that helps.

^I agree.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if old message, but I just wanted to say that I have both of these hallucinations and also sleep paralysis. I definitely don't have narcolepsy which is frequently associated with these hallucinations plus a bunch of other symptoms. Also, they only happen when I am heavily sleep deprived or severely depressed. Pdoc was not worried when I mentionned them, but since I couldn't sleep at all it was a problem. Medication actually helps with these. Haven't had these for almost six months. What was worrying is when I got these when awake and was freaking out. I can't say if these were similar events as when going to bed/waking up and I still wonder. Like now, I'm just waiting, examining my room with my light on hoping nothing is unusual. Nothing won't probably be unusual, but I'm still terrified.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I read you. If you find ways to stop or reduce their "scare" factor, please share.

Edited by Eyre

They don't frighten me anymore for the most part. After doing research and talking to pdoc they are most likely "normal"....I had never discussed it with J., which is weird because I usually share this kind of stuff. I guess I didn't want to freak him out. He said it's happened to him too and just like I described. He doesn't have an MI.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm so glad CB is here.