CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone. I've experienced a short psychotic episode and was put to a hospital for three weeks. I was treated with haldol injections for two weeks and then recieved a 50 mg dose of haldol decanoate (a depot injection), that was 5 weeks ago. Since then I experience all the bad side effects I had when I was treated with risperdal last time - loss of interest in everything, anhedonia, inability to get high or drunk, loss of interest in social interactions, a massice weight gain etc. Antipsychotics just don't work for me. Luckily I'm not subject to any treatment right now, so I just would like to ask how long he depot will stay in my body. The half-life of the depot is 3 weeks, does it mean the full elimination will take up to 3 months? I was recovering from a shot of risperdal consta for like 6 months, vigorous excercise helped a bit, I'm just not sure I can walk through all this again. Is haldol less damaging then risperdal consta? Maybe I'll recover in less time than in case of the previous experience?

Have you considered that it is not unusual for psychotic epidoses to be accompanied by negative symptoms and that it might not be the AP at all that is at fault? It seems weird that every AP gives you the exact same problems.

Also, you should NOT be getting drunk or high while on psych meds. That right there (substance abuse) might be contributing to your problems.

• 5 months later...

I read online that a single pill dosage of haldol lasts a whole month (typically about 10 or 15 mg in pill form for adults). 

The decanoate injections of haldol are typically 10 times the dosage in mg of the pills to match equally in effect. 

Two of my psychiatrists said that antispychotic meds lingers in the body a long time in the fat cells. 

You might have some improvement in physical side effects if you take detox medications/herbs from a health food store. 

That's what I did a couple different times when i came off of meds.  The important risk/downside is that eventually I went back into psychosis each time. 

But I did last 6-9 months or longer a few times.  I believe it's your right to choose.  Just be careful and know the risks both ways.  Peace be with you. 

You might have some improvement in physical side effects if you take detox medications/herbs from a health food store. 

That's what I did a couple different times when i came off of meds.  The important risk/downside is that eventually I went back into psychosis each time. 

Could you provide a peer reviewed article supporting your detox/herb theory? Making assertions like that need to be evidence based, or they are meaningless.

Also, you became psychotic whenever you *did* use theoretical detox. Does that sound like something you should do repeatedly? Every time you have a psychosis, it becomes a little easier to become psychotic again.