CrazyBoards.org

how antipsychotics exactly cause weight gain ?

omg, i was quite literally just searching for this on here to read on people's experiences. what i can tell you is that ive been on a relatively high dose of seroquel for about 3 weeks now and i am seeing weight gain around my belly that does not seem to go away. planning on speaking to someone about it today. my appetite is same as usual so i dont really know whats going on. based on my experience, id say its caused by some other metabolic changes.

Well my weight gain is cuz of eating too much carbs. After taking my clozapine 100mg at 10pm. I wake up at midnight like 4-5 am and just eat carbs(milk, cookies etc).

I dont know why I eat at midnight. I'm not even sure if I wake up at midnight cuz of hunger or cuz of something else.

Edited by clinic

It's a bit of both.  It makes you hungry and want to eat more, but it also causes changes in your metabolism.  When I came off Seroquel I immediately lost about 20 pounds without any change in my diet (in fact my diet was probably worse).

I've heard that on certain antipsychotics it causes your body to run more off of fat than carbohydrates... fat calories are used as energy, and carbohydrate calories are stored as fat. 

It affects blood sugar as well, which can affect weight.

I had a lot of weight gain on clozaril, and when I went off of it, the massive appetite did not go away.  I ended up having to go on another med to help control my appetite.  That was in 2006, and I am still on the other med to help control my appetite.

I was going to post the same article as Gearhead did in above post.

I had a lot of weight gain on clozaril, and when I went off of it, the massive appetite did not go away.  I ended up having to go on another med to help control my appetite.  That was in 2006, and I am still on the other med to help control my appetite.

what med did you find helped control your appetite? 

I tired Topamax and it helped a little but I got such problems with my eyes, very dry eyes .

The Neuro- Ophthalmologist  suggested I stop the med as apparently Topamax is a known for eye issues in some persons.

I'm on Latuda now and it is helping a bit but instead I have gained about 10 pounds but mostly fat around the middle . I am on other meds too but noted the gain around middle when starting latuda.  Seroquel ( at 25mg and 50XR ) never caused cravings for food .

Edited by Stars

what med did you find helped control your appetite? 

I tired Topamax and it helped a little but I got such problems with my eyes, very dry eyes .

The Neuro- Ophthalmologist  suggested I stop the med as apparently Topamax is a known for eye issues in some persons.

I'm on Latuda now and it is helping a bit but instead I have gained about 10 pounds but mostly fat around the middle . I am on other meds too but noted the gain around middle when starting latuda.  Seroquel ( at 25mg and 50XR ) never caused cravings for food .

Naltrexone.  I didn't have any success with topamax (had to stop it because of sharp pins and needles in my feet, ankles, hands and wrists as side effects).

Yes, I've found Latuda mostly weight neutral as well.

Based on the idea that AAP's make your body run off of fat and not carbohydrates as usual, theoretically, would eating a diet high in fats and low in carbohydrates be beneficial?  

Based on the idea that AAP's make your body run off of fat and not carbohydrates as usual, theoretically, would eating a diet high in fats and low in carbohydrates be beneficial?  

That is what the article by Gearhead suggests.

yeah, thats the idea im getting (and am following). ill probably ask my doc next week but someone please let me know if eating a diet based on fats and proteins is actually a bad idea.

yeah, thats the idea im getting (and am following). ill probably ask my doc next week but someone please let me know if eating a diet based on fats and proteins is actually a bad idea.

Just wanted to say IMO is is NOT a bad idea, but just to keep in mind not every kind of diet is for everyone.  For me, high fat (the good fats), medium protein, medium carbs is the way I eat without too much of a problem.  But if I were to have a low fat diet I would be gaining weight (I've tried it in the past).  But in general, I think eating a high fat (the good fats) and high protein is not a bad idea.

yeah, thats the idea im getting (and am following). ill probably ask my doc next week but someone please let me know if eating a diet based on fats and proteins is actually a bad idea. There should be no problem for most people. The advice has been wrong for a long time:

Behind New Dietary Guidelines, Better Science

The cardiometabolic consequences of replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates or Ω-6 polyunsaturated fats: Do the dietary guidelines have it wrong?

yeah, thats the idea im getting (and am following). ill probably ask my doc next week but someone please let me know if eating a diet based on fats and proteins is actually a bad idea. There should be no problem for most people. The advice has been wrong for a long time:

Behind New Dietary Guidelines, Better Science

The cardiometabolic consequences of replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates or Ω-6 polyunsaturated fats: Do the dietary guidelines have it wrong?

havent read the links, but just wanted to thank you in advance, so thank you Flash!

• 2 weeks later...