CrazyBoards.org

Disguising Lamictal so it's easier to swallow?

I'm sure I've read that others have difficulty swallowing Lamictal on this forum, but my searches yield no results.

I can swallow brand name Lamictal without problems. However, it costs the NHS much more (from less than £3 to closer to £150) for the prescription. I'd rather pay the £8 prescription cost into the NHS and use a local pharmacist than the diabolical larger chain which constantly loses my prescription. However, the generic lamotrigine is huge, rough, and makes me gag or choke almost every time I try to take it, not to mention that it tastes like shit. What do they make that crap out of, velcro?

I have tried:

• breaking up the generics (still gagged)
  • coating the generic in butter, cheese, or PB (not handy out of the house and paranoid that I'm somehow affecting its absorption)
  • swallowing it with yogurt (hit and miss with getting it down)

I haven't tried crushing it yet. Would that affect absorption? Would it taste hideously terrible?

I'm out of all of the generics, so I want to have more ideas before I commit to experimentation with another pack of lamotrigine. I have two month's worth of brand name Lamictal to figure out something better.

Anyone have more ideas?

I couldn't swallow Lamictal either.  My pdoc prescribed the ODT pills ... oral disintegrating tablets ... they melt in your mouth.  Don't taste too bad either.

bless your pdoc for that!  i dearly wish i'd known about this when i was taking lamictal!

What do they make that crap out of, velcro?

omg exactly.  at least for the diamond-shaped generics i took. scored to split into triangles. worst pill ever.  i'm curious--is your generic the awful diamond shape, or another un-swallowable creation? 

i have no helpful suggestions, unfortunately.  i took mine with energy shakes, smoothies, or kefir, followed immediately by most of my meal or a big snack like crispbread and cheese.  i know i lost some meds because i simply could not get them down.  i really hope you can get the odt's where you are.

Melissa, I'm not seeing ODTs in this country yet. Apparently there will be a generic ODT eventually, but it will be a while to get here, if it ever does. I'm glad to have that knowledge though and will definitely watch for it.

Fantod, mine were flat and circular. Slightly smaller than Necco wafers, but fatter. ugh.

Melissa, I'm not seeing ODTs in this country yet. Apparently there will be a generic ODT eventually, but it will be a while to get here, if it ever does. I'm glad to have that knowledge though and will definitely watch for it.

Fantod, mine were flat and circular. Slightly smaller than Necco wafers, but fatter. ugh.

I hope they get there soon for you.  Before the ODTs, I also had the flat yet fat circular pills (and powdery) that even when cut in half, I still couldn't get them down.  They were terrible.

Thanks all.

Yeah, even with the gulps of water, I seem to choke it back up along with a fountain of water. Man, that's some icky stuff.

Noted: try apple sauce.

I'm ready to try one of those cat pill ejectors to see if i can't rocket it down my throat. Actually, in case anyone thinks that's a good idea - don't try that.