CrazyBoards.org

WTF is really paranoia?

The above image pretty much sums it up.

In short, everything and everyone has it out for you and everything is personal.

Why do you ask?

Some people told me fearing others isn't normal BUT I think in some situations it can be as in my OP? Edited by itchandscratch

It also includes intense fear for me... its like you have stepped out of the door with a sign above your head that everyone else can read and it tells them your innermost fear... they read it and you know they read it and "know" shit about you and are actively out to get you.... primal fear in all its shit-scary glory... ugh!

For me paranoia is suspicion of people's intent.  I think people are tracking me, keeping tabs on me, and there have been times when friends have been conspiring against me.  That's my paranoia.  There's no evidence of any of it, it's just something I KNOW.

For me paranoia is suspicion of people's intent.

Look I was abused by someone who at first was the complete opposite. Now I am suspicious of people because I don't want to get abused AGAIN.

Is that paranoia?

To me - and I am not a diagnostian (is that a word?), that is not psychotic paranoia but more hesitancy.  

Paranoia is when your normal fears go waaaay beyond what's normal and completely encompass you until you can't breathe and all you can feel is this horrible, terrible wave of anxiety and tension.

^^^---this

Look I was abused by someone who at first was the complete opposite. Now I am suspicious of people because I don't want to get abused AGAIN.

Is that paranoia?

To me - and I am not a diagnostian (is that a word?), that is not psychotic paranoia but more hesitancy.  

My hesitancy in seeking romantic relationships because I was in an abusive relationship is vigilance. It may not always be appropriate, but it's there.

My hesitancy in taking a friend with me to get a tattoo because I believed she wanted to murder me was paranoia.

Is that paranoia?

From the way you are describing, no, in my (non professional, purely personal) opinion, you are not experiencing clinical paranoia.

There is no one way that someone is going to respond to the aftermath of a domestic violence situation, but feeling hesitant and untrustworthy of other people is certainly common. You may be experiencing trauma aftermath. Here's the link to The National Domestic Violence Hotline page for survivor's of domestic violence. Here is the Violence Unsilenced resource page, including a list of hotlines by state. Anti domestic violence groups in your area will be able to provide you with information on survivor's support groups and other resources. I also highly, highly recommend seeking out a therapist who is experienced in working with domestic violence survivors, if you have the financial means to do so-- if you have health insurance, contact them and ask what the coverage would be.

What you are experiencing, while unlikely to be clinical paranoia, is still something that warrants proper mental health care. I hope you feel better soon.

Ugh, sorry, edited for clarity.

Edited by kumiho

i link paranoia to what has gotten "persecutory delusions" written in my records and what's a main contributor to my being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. i suppose the voices and so forth also contribute, but the other main clinical thing is the delusions.

i'm sure they come in a wide variety, but i agree with others that what you're describing sounds far from what i've experienced that's gotten me that label. like jarn said though, i'm not a diagnostician either and you really need to talk to a professional to sort this. your history of trauma and wariness of people sounds distressing a problematic whether it's clinically considered paranoia or not and i'm sorry you're suffering with it.

as for why it doesn't sound like persecutory delusions to me... for one, you're asking if it is paranoia and i would never in a million years do that because i'm 100% convinced and there's no UNconvincing me. but it's not so much about people with me, except the ones plotting or in on the plot, but i don't believe those are "people" in the strict sense. they just appear to be humanoid so they can facilitate the work of the Them against me and tinker with the wires and devices they've implanted. i don't really want to go into it further because it's incredibly difficult to not get sucked into the entire framework if i even skirt around it and i've said enough. my point being, no...i can't relate to having what you describe as being termed "paranoid" or contributing significantly to why i am labeled as having persecutory delusions...but that's my experience and i don't know whether yours are technically or not...only a clinician can tell you.

when's your next appointment?