CrazyBoards.org

New to the boards, not new to crazy.

Hello, everyone.

I have had a mental illness as long as I can remember but I grew up in a family that didn't "believe" in them.  I've only recently, at age 26, been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar disorder, rapid cycling, psychotic features.  I am getting used to being medicated, trying to learn about the disorder and lifestyle changes I can make.  The diagnosis feels like a life sentence, but before it, there was no life.  Crashing my way through the depths of suicidal depression and the psychotic highs of mania was no life to speak of.

I hope I can find some helpful information and support here.

Glassballoon, welcome to Crazyboards.

I think it's really distressing when the diagnosis is first made, and especially when you have been struggling for so many years.  However, I keep repeating to myself that mental illness is chronic, but it doesn't have to be fatal.

Good luck with the meds, and don't be afraid to check in with your psychiatrist pretty quickly if you get some adverse side effects.

I'm glad you joined us and I hope we can provide you with some information and support.

olga

However, I keep repeating to myself that mental illness is chronic, but it doesn't have to be fatal.

A friend of mine put it to me this way: Having a diagnosis isn't a death sentence, but continuing to live without one certainly is.  And she is right.  There is so much that comes with knowing I have a disease - responsibility, expenses, changes, stigma, etc.  However, I would most definitely have ended up dead within the next few years otherwise.  Not even from the depression!  The mania would've gotten me for sure.  I digress.

Thank you, olga, for the warm welcome!

Edited by glassballoon