CrazyBoards.org

Hydroxychloroquine.jpg

This is an antimalaria drug but is also commonly used for autoimmune diseases/disorders. I was wondering if anyone has taken it before:

• what your experience was on it?
  • How many mg were you on?
  • How long were you on the med?
  • I heard hair loss is not that common with this med, but be nice to know if you have or have not had that effect?
  • Did you have any eye issues on it?

Hope to hear your experiences!!

Edited by CherryBlossom

i don't know if this is all in my head but I feel slightly better already - I've had some stomach issues  nothing i'm not used to

It would be amazing if you could keep me updated on how it's going. I heard stomach issues, diarrhea, and nausea is the most common side effects.

This is a med i might start soon. I can't start steroids and i will not start steroids because diabetes is big on my mother side....so i rather not push my luck. 

Best med EVER for controlling the signs and symptoms of Sjögren's.

Most often 200 mg BID/twice a day, but have taken 600 BID.

I have taken Plaquenil for more than 20 years. However, never as a stand alone DMARD. Currently my "main" DMARD is methotrexate as copay for biologics is beyond my budget. I also take semi-large does of corticosteroids.

The combination of drugs does thin my hair and it is difficult to grow it beyond a few inches. But, at least a couple of CB's members might remember how many years I spend balding or bald...

In the beginning I had eye examines every six months, now every 12. NEVER had any retinal build up of the drug, plus it gives at least some relief from Sjögren's.

Best med EVER for controlling the signs and symptoms of Sjögren's.

Most often 200 mg BID/twice a day, but have taken 600 BID.

I have taken Plaquenil for more than 20 years. However, never as a stand alone DMARD. Currently my "main" DMARD is methotrexate as copay for biologics is beyond my budget. I also take semi-large does of corticosteroids.

The combination of drugs does thin my hair and it is difficult to grow it beyond a few inches. But, at least a couple of CB's members might remember how many years I spend balding or bald...

In the beginning I had eye examines every six months, now every 12. NEVER had any retinal build up of the drug, plus it gives at least some relief from Sjögren's.

Ah, they believe i have sarcoidosis. But, i refuse steroids and i think my doctor agrees steroids is not a good choice for me i think mostly because i am 21.... so the benefits really do not outweight the effects. This med the cleveland clinic states that this is good for sarcoidosis. So i will definitely ask for this medicine because it doesn't weaken the immune system too much and the common side effects are something that can be handled. Hair loss and eye issues i heard are uncommon, but they still have you see an eye doctor/surgeon (i have to see a surgeon) to be on the safe side. So i have to get biopsy done to confirm the diagnosis. But, be nice to hear people's experience on this medicine i speak of in this thread. 

I probably won't be starting on a med like this for a couple weeks.

Edited by CherryBlossom

• 3 weeks later...

What did your biopsy reveal? Often, at least in my opinion, the diagnosis overrules the weigh/outweigh benefits of any medication. "Burst doses" of corticosteroids can quite literally be a lifesaver. 

Please, please, if your diagnosis is sarcoidosis, DO NOT refuse any treatment that can reduce the signs/symptoms and retard the progression of the disease...

Edited by Indigo 'n dye

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, they believe i have sarcoidosis. ...

I probably won't be starting on a med like this for a couple weeks.

I keep returning to CB to see what your biopsy(sies) demonstrated and what treatment has been advised...it has been far longer than a couple of weeks, eh?