CrazyBoards.org

which of these antipsychotics are the most sedating?

I'm switching off zyprexa because of high blood sugar. My doctor gave me this list of medications and I want the one that's most sedating and I need help finding out which one of them is most sedating.

Haldol

Trilafon

Abilify

Seroquel

Geodon

Anyone got the answer I need? Thanks

I'm taking abilify and seroquel and I've taken geodon previously. Surprisingly, geodon was the most sedating for me (though I think it's a drug that's hit or miss on that front). Seroquel is also sedating. Abilify I can take in the morning and be functional all day, so I'd put that in the not-sedating category.

I have taken Abilify Haldol and Seroquel IR (immediate release) in the past and currently take Seroquel XR.

I found:

• Abilify was very activating.
  • Haldol was neutral.
  • Seroquel IR was very sedating, much more sedating than the XR version. 
  • Seroquel XR was quite sedating at doses below 400mg.I would have to take it at least 12 hours before getting up the next morning. Otherwise I was like a zombie. I now take 800mg and sleep well but am not sedated at all thankfully

I'm switching off zyprexa because of high blood sugar. My doctor gave me this list of medications and I want the one that's most sedating and I need help finding out which one of them is most sedating.

Haldol

Trilafon

Abilify

Seroquel

Geodon

Anyone got the answer I need? Thanks

I have tried abilify, seroquel, geodon, and a one time dose of haldol to calm my ass down. I've been on zyprexa too.

Abilify - doesn't sedate me at all and never has

Seroquel IR - sedated me heavily and the sedation got better but never truly and fully wore off. I was less sedated at a high dose of 800 mg. I took 200 mg at bedtime and had to sleep 12+ hours each night and when I took 200 mg AM dose I often crawled back into bed.

Geodon - this did sedate me. It is very hit and miss for most people though and can be activating for some.

Haldol - did sedate me a bit but then they gave me some zyprexa zydis on top of that and I was out cold.

In conclusion, I would recommend seroquel for sure and hands down. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who is not sedated if even just a tiny bit by seroquel IR. It helped me sleep too. Seroquel can affect one's blood sugar too though. Something to keep in mind with most or all of the AAP's. The typicals tend to not be as bad in that regard. So if you are more worried about that haldol or trilafon may be easier on the blood sugar. Although there is a maybe greater risk of EPS for those ones.

Just things to ask your pdoc about.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Just to chime in - I've taken Abilify, Geodon, and Seroquel.

Seroquel was the most sedating. It was like a sleep miracle. I took Seroquel XR.

Geodon was sometimes sedating but sometimes activating. I would take it with dinner, and an hour later I would either be out of my mind agitated and restless or falling asleep standing up. I could never figure out a way to predict which way I would react to that day's dose. I also got really bad akathisia from Geodon, so I was pacing and jumping out of my skin. It was so bad that I almost self admitted to the hospital.

Abilify gave me insomnia, so I did not find it sedating at all.

I've taken all of those and my response is pretty similar to everyone else's. For me Seroquel hands down was the most sedating. I took it for 14 years and the sedation got better but never went away completely. I still slept around 12 plus hours a night. Abilfify and Geodon I did not find sedating. Neutral for Haldol and Trilafon.

Abilify is more like speed for me than sedating. Abilify is known to be activating for a lot of people, but there is a subset who find it sedating. If I had to bet, I'd bet you'd find it activating.

I have never taken Seroquel, but from everything I've read, it is very sedating. I found Haldol neutral. Trilafon was a little calming for me, but I wouldn't call it sedating. I never took Geodon.

Anyway, that's my experience.