CrazyBoards.org

Do you get tattoos when you're manic?

I don't know wtf it was about this last manic episode, but I walked away with three different tattoos over the span of 4-5 days. One on my hand, one on my neck, and my favorite on my wrist of a girls name I met that night with a heart around it and an AK-47 on the bottom. Her name is spelled incorrectly too. It's ok, you can laugh.

That was my rule, too, but now that I am over 50, I am planning on getting a tattoo that may be visible in certain clothes. I know I'm never going to work someplace normal again, so fuck it. Doggie daycares aren't picky (If my migraines even ever get few enough for me to work again).

Cherry - I like them but I have investigated removal...i was given an estimate of 12 months to remove the tattoos (one treatment per month). It's a hassle because now I have to put makeup over them when I head in to my new job.

What type of career are you in?

Gonna cost some money to get it removed... what exactly is the neck and hand tattoo like image?

I got my first tattoo on my left shoulder-blade as a gift to myself for passing the bar. The next one I was manic, and got the tattoo on my ankle, so not as easily hidden. But I hated law, and had quit, and was teaching at that point. Not that teaching is big on tattoos, but it was small, and I usually wore long hippy-dippie skirts.

At this point it might easier to say what percentage of my body is covered in tattoos than to itemize them and tell you how many I have. My legs are clean. My two biggest are a 3/4 sleeve and a rib panel. I will never tattoo my neck or hands.

I'm heavily tattooed, most of my body, but most employers don't care. I have a hand tattoo, and tattoos on my knuckles, that are visible. Everything else can be covered.

I wouldn't say i got them all while manic. Maybe a couple, but not many. I worked in the industry as a piercer and got free/price dramatically reduced tattoos for a while from staff. So the temptation was always there. Slow day? get tattooed, kinda thing.

I want to get another tattoo to cover a fucked up one I got on an impulse (but at a really well respected place in London, UK! I was so pissed). Coverups have to be substantially larger than the screwed up tattoo, so I am going to tell them they can expand onto my chest and shoulder if necessary. I don't care if it is visible.

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of. I'm pretty sure I was manic/hypomanic every time I've decided to get a tattoo, and picking the design is always impulsive - I just immediately know what I want. Most times I've still been manic by the time I actually got it, but on a few occasions I had to schedule it in advance (because the artist was booked out or I had to travel for it) and was pretty stable by the time the appointment came around and decided to still go ahead with it. No regrets. I've only ever had one covered up, but that's because it was on my arm and taking up valuable space that I needed for a half sleeve :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, am heavily tattooed and many of the small ones happened when I was manic. The impulse wasn't to get the tattoo, which I would do any day of any week, it was blowing the money for one when I should have been paying bills. The large arm pieces were more carefully thought out and took numerous sittings. I don't have hand or neck, though, but do have sleeves.

Sorry you have to cover up for work. People are stupid and judgmental.

I have two full sleeves, large chest piece, whole back piece, both thighs and both hands tattooed.

I have thought out most of them, but some I definitely had when manic, and when feeling in a mixed mood.

I love my tattoos, and love them on others. I don't care when general people judge, but I do find I get judged by health professionals because of them, and that pisses me off.

I have read my psych notes before from a number of different meetings with different health professionals, and loads of them had made a note of my tattoos and the extent of them, as if they were a point to note in working towards a dx, or in working out the proper treatment for me. As if they are a symptom of my MI in  themselves.

Though, some people do believe they are a sign of mental illness, or having issues, so I guess that's the ignorance of people...

There used to be a member here whose pdoc diagnosed her as BP because she had tattoos and piercings. What an asshole (the pdoc).

Exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about!

Diagnosing people in terms of their own prejudices.... 

I guess that's nothing new.

But it sucks!