CrazyBoards.org

Girl accused of encouraging friends suicide

It's up to that someone to decide to kill themselves. You can't charge the girl with manslaughter....only cyber-bulling. She is sadistic but she did not kill the guy. Oh god...what is it with these laws. I've  been told to kill myself in the internet many times and if I did...it's my fault not them!

Edited by StJimmy9151

It's a little tricky, but I think our behaviors have emotional consequences on people. I don't know why emotional actions should carry no weight, especially when they lead to something like this. This wasn't an offhanded comment. This sounds like a campaign on her part. 

Like her parents, Michelle’s friends also describe the girl – who is facing up to 20 years behind bars if she is convicted for the involuntary manslaughter -- as “nice.”

Oy vey. 

ETA: I think the reason this is new case law is because these communications are now recorded, and therefore much easier to prove.

Edited by ovOidampUle

I think a hefty fine...no texting ban and a huge guilt on her conscience is enough, she made a horrible choice although I doubt she thought the guy was going to do it.

She will have to carry that for the rest of her life....so that should make her change her mind and not do it again for sure, no need for 20 years and actually doubt that will happen anyway. The guy made his choice as well remember that.

Millions say to Justin Bieber to kill himself and if he ever does it, does that that mean you should put millions in jail, no. The guilt, a fine and a text ban is enough...in my opinion. 

Edited by StJimmy9151

I think she should receive some punishment. She could have chosen to help, and didn't. She egged him on. I mean the guys that posted the "gay" video were prosecuted. Other people that have been proven to "cyberbully" have been prosecuted. And yes, sometimes someone caring and talking to you can stop a suicide.

I think she should receive some punishment. She could have chosen to help, and didn't. She egged him on. I mean the guys that posted the "gay" video were prosecuted. Other people that have been proven to "cyberbully" have been prosecuted. And yes, sometimes someone caring and talking to you can stop a suicide.

I suppose... but twenty years is too much, pedos get less, she is a cyberbully that's what she is

I think a hefty fine...no texting ban and a huge guilt on her conscience is enough, she made a horrible choice although I doubt she thought the guy was going to do it. She will have to carry that for the rest of her life....so that should make her change her mind and not do it again for sure, no need for 20 years and actually doubt that will happen anyway. 

I don't understand your defense of this woman at all. Let's say all those 1,000 texts she sent were designed to drive this guy to kill himself. Why would you assume she has a conscience? This woman's acts show more evil and malice towards human life than any murderous crime of passion. I wonder if you're just used to rationalizing abusive behavior. 

I think a hefty fine...no texting ban and a huge guilt on her conscience is enough, she made a horrible choice although I doubt she thought the guy was going to do it. She will have to carry that for the rest of her life....so that should make her change her mind and not do it again for sure, no need for 20 years and actually doubt that will happen 

I don't understand your defense of this woman at all. Let's say all those 1,000 texts she sent were designed to drive this guy to kill himself. Why would you assume she has a conscience? This woman's acts show more evil and malice towards human life than any murderous crime of passion. 

I'm not defending her, she is scum and that is what she is going to be for the rest of her life , but I believe people can change. The guy died, it's not going to make any difference if she gets punished for 20 years or not for the parents. You can not blame your suicide on someone else, Haters gonna hate.

I'm not victim blaming, just saying. Cyber-bulling is a crime but it's not manslaughter,  she did not kill him with her own hands. I don't know let the judge decide.

"I wonder if you're just used to rationalizing abusive behaviour" what you mean by that ?

Edited by StJimmy9151

I think a hefty fine...no texting ban and a huge guilt on her conscience is enough, she made a horrible choice although I doubt she thought the guy was going to do it. She will have to carry that for the rest of her life....so that should make her change her mind and not do it again for sure, no need for 20 years and actually doubt that will happen 

I don't understand your defense of this woman at all. Let's say all those 1,000 texts she sent were designed to drive this guy to kill himself. Why would you assume she has a conscience? This woman's acts show more evil and malice towards human life than any murderous crime of passion. 

I'm not defending her, she is scum and that is what she is going to be for the rest of her life , but I believe people can change. The guy died, it's not going to make any difference if she gets punished for 20 years or not for the parents. You can not blame your suicide on someone else, Haters gonna hate.

I'm not victim blaming, just saying. Cyber-bulling is a crime but it's not manslaughter,  she did not kill him with her own hands. I don't know let the judge decide.

"I wonder if you're just used to rationalizing abusive behaviour" what you mean by that ?

So, by what you are saying is, if someone is murdered with a gun, we should not punish the person with the gun, coz Hey, doesn't matter if the parents receive justice or not, the person is still dead? Where do you come up with your logic?

So, by what you are saying is, if someone is murdered with a gun, we should not punish the person with the gun, coz Hey, doesn't matter if the parents receive justice or not, the person is still dead? Where do you come up with your logic?

NO, I did not say that, I was referring to her case...don't twist my words....She did not hold a gun, she sent texts. It's a crime but it's not manslaughter. If she goes to prison for 20 years is not going to help with her case..she'll turn into a vicious criminal when she gets out...if she comes out or she'll kill herself. Therapy, that's what she needs...lots. Because she is a fucked up bully not a murderer. 

Edited by StJimmy9151

Just for comparison's sake, here in Canada (Ottawa, specifically) we had a nurse who was encouraging suicidal people to die via the Internet. The nurse was convicted as three people died. There is precedent.

I'm tired of this anyway...I said my point....and every case is different and law should not be seen in a generalized way...She will go to court and a decision will be made.  I'm just not keen on hefty sentences on crimes like this, it's just pure revenge and it doesn't makes sure that the offender changes and becomes a better person and rehabilitates.  

Out.

Edited by StJimmy9151

I actually see where StJimmy is coming from. Right now I don't think there are enough details in the case. I agree she should be punished, but 20 years in comparison to other crimes is a little crazy. I think there is absolutely reason to charge her. I'm interested to see where this case goes, because this one so far does seem to be more malicious. I remember in High School when Ryan Halligans father spoke to our school. His son had committed suicide when he was about 13 years old in 2003. He had suffered from Cyber bullying, including one girl that he IM'ed a lot who he had a crush on. The girl pretended to like him and then would spread his Instant messages everywhere and make fun of him. After he committed suicide she became the scape goat of the school, and Halligans father approached her. She ended up being extremely remorseful for what she did, and became an advocate for ending cyber bullying. I guess the thing with that is that there were so many bullies, and I don't think you could find one who specifically caused him to commit suicide.  

There are a lot of stories about teens who commit suicide after cyber bullying. I don't believe that she was the only factor in his life that led to his suicide. Doesn't mean she wasn't the ring leader, or that what she did was okay. No it's horrible. But I guess I believe that the reasons people commit suicide are often multi-faceted and it's too easy to just say "It was this one exact thing, nothing else was the problem." 

I guess to me yes there is a difference between this and putting a gun to someones head and pulling the trigger. 

I think the thing that really distinguishes this case from other similar ones is that he got out of the car, texted her that he didn't want to die, and she convinced him to get back in the car and go through with it.

It's not really a case of cyberbullying. In a general bullying case, the bully couldn't really reasonably foresee that their name-calling or whatever would lead to someone's death. In this case she took advantage of a very psychologically vulnerable person at the worst possible time. Any reasonable person in her position would predict that those actions would lead to his death. It appears that was even the intent.

If you read more about the case, you'll see that she was, at the same time, texting other friends with false concern for his well-being and talking about regretting not doing more to help him. Her behavior immediately after his death suggests that she was reveling in the pity/attention she was getting. From what I can tell, this woman seems like a serious threat to society.

I think there are solid legal and ethical reasons behind prosecuting this case as manslaughter. 

Edited by Sync

I think the thing that really distinguishes this case from other similar ones is that he got out of the car, texted her that he didn't want to die, and she convinced him to get back in the car and go through with it....

....If you read more about the case, you'll see that she was, at the same time, texting other friends with false concern for his well-being and talking about regretting not doing more to help him. Her behavior immediately after his death suggests that she was reveling in the pity/attention she was getting...

...This reminds me of Munchhausen's-by-proxy.

You know? Just saying...

...which makes me worry about her having kids...o.o

So maybe putting her up for a while isn't a bad idea.

Here's a little more detailed article. I can't link it directly, but after the link, click on Selected stories of our Archives and it's the second story. She is charged with Manslaughter Involving Neglect of Legal Duty

http://www.neighbnews.com

But while she was texting him to kill himself, she was also texting other friends saying how she didn't know what to do for him.

Edited by AnnaBanana

I think the thing that really distinguishes this case from other similar ones is that he got out of the car, texted her that he didn't want to die, and she convinced him to get back in the car and go through with it....

....If you read more about the case, you'll see that she was, at the same time, texting other friends with false concern for his well-being and talking about regretting not doing more to help him. Her behavior immediately after his death suggests that she was reveling in the pity/attention she was getting...

...This reminds me of Munchhausen's-by-proxy.

You know? Just saying...

...which makes me worry about her having kids...o.o

So maybe putting her up for a while isn't a bad idea.

o.O You just blew my mind, it's possible 

Edited by StJimmy9151