CrazyBoards.org

What happens when you call a Suicide Hotline in the US?

Hi Unquiet Mind,

yes, when you call, someone with experience and training answers. In my experience, they listen and talk for about 30 mn.

It's extremely helpful for anxiety. It doesn't feel "scripted", and the conversation flows naturally: if you're talkative, they'll listen, but if you don't feel like talking much then they'll do the talking.

If they believe you're a danger to yourself or others, they'll try to assess and get you immediate help.

Also good to know: I've called many times even though I don't live in the US right now, simply bc whatever country I've lived in didn't have reliable hotlines.

Hope this helps!

is it fairly anonymous?  I mean, I know there's the ability to track the number from which you're calling.  but when you call, do they require your name, location, etc.?

That's one of the things I'm wondering. I'd assume they would probably ask your first name.

Can anyone help answer our questions?

I'm note too sure about the name thing.

I remember a small youtuber I watch recorded herself calling a suicide hotline when she was having some sort of mental breakdown and since she had threatened to harm herself, they ended up calling he cops (who showed up at her door in the video). So I if you make any hints at killing or hurting yourself, beware that they will most likely do that. People shouldn't let that deter them though. Some help is better than no help and if that's the way you have to get it, so be it.  

I was told not to tell that stuff, and that I could give a nickname if I wanted to.

But, really, if you look up the number of wherever you're calling, you'll likely see the words "confidential" underneath, or something to that effect.

I gave my first name. I was calling a crisis line, not a suicide hot-line, I should add. The person I spoke with was a therapist, and he was so nice I saw him in person a couple of times afterwards. I couldn't pay for my last session, and I was about to move, so he told me that when I could, to put $50 in a card, and let him know how I was doing. One of only two therapists that I have liked.

I gave my first name. I was calling a crisis line, not a suicide hot-line, I should add. The person I spoke with was a therapist, and he was so nice I saw him in person a couple of times afterwards. I couldn't pay for my last session, and I was about to move, so he told me that when I could, to put $50 in a card, and let him know how I was doing. One of only two therapists that I have liked.

That was so nice of him :)

I called one and they just talked to me for a few mins, then told me to call my husband.

They did not ask my details.

But-- I was not seriously contemplating suicide-- I was just having a depressive breakdown.

Edited by larali

There are lots of lines that will talk to you if you're not actively suicidal. They're warmlines, rather than crisis lines. Some places will act as both, while others will advertise themselves as either/or. Some people call warmlines because they're lonely and just want to talk to someone. I tend to use them when I'm struggling with not doing something else (usually using) or when I'm particularly low and want a reminder that I might be human.