CrazyBoards.org

ativan and alcohol

I don't know, but I do know that when you mix ativan and alcohol you go into a risk of respiratory depression to the point where you could die.  It is not a good idea to mix benzos and alcohol.

What do you mean "okay, any one else?" Were you not pleased with the first answer? Just because it was not what you wanted to hear? I've got an idea, why don't you ask your pdoc? Or won't you ask him or her because you *know* what the answer will be?

The first answer was fine it just didn't answer my question..that's why I said anyone else. Not a big deal..I don't see what the big deal would be if I asked this with my pdoc either. She knows I drink. Relax I'm not shitting on anyone here I'm asking a question.

Yes, you can mix benzos with Ativan but you risk a side effect that can be fatal.  I'd talk to your pdoc about it.

Why do you want to "intensify the effect" of your Ativan?  That's a statement that sounds like you want to abuse it.

To answer your question, If by "intensify the effect of ativan," you mean depress your central nervous system and respiratory system more to a potentially fatal level, then yes, it does that. 

"..is there a chance the beer could give me the opposite effect and make my anxiety worse?"

It will sedate/relax you more at first, but you are more likely to have a higher level of anxiety as the effects wear off.

Go ahead and ask your doctor about this.  I'd be interested to hear what he/she has to say... I seriously doubt your doctor would encourage you to mix the two. 

Ok thanks guys. I have to go to a funeral today and am nervous about seeing a shitload of people that's why I asked the question. I take 1.5mg of ativan a day and sometimes have a beer or two during the day but I never drink to get drunk its always 1 or 2. I haven't been drunk in a year. Anyway thanks for the responses.

That's the problem, though-- suddenly taking more Ativan than you're used to and adding alcohol to it is what's dangerous. Personally I'm less worried about you ODing and more worried about you getting behind the wheel of a car or doing everyday tasks that you think you're fine doing when you're actually quite impaired.

If you need more Ativan to get through something like a funeral, you should call the prescribing doctor and ask for their advice. It's far safer to take a bit of extra Ativan IF YOUR DOCTOR OKAYS IT than it is to drink on top of it. Not knowing your health history or other meds, no one here can tell you definitively that it's okay to take more than what you're prescribed of your meds.

But there's also the risk that when you take more Ativan you'll make yourself impaired, which is not what anyone needs to deal with at a funeral.

At low doses i would think it probably wouldn't be fatal but I have heard of people dying even from mixing an Ativan with a couple of beers. In general it is a habit you should avoid.

I think benzos and alcohol should be an either/or thing. Choose one, and don't mix it with the other. I agree with dianthus that talking to your doctor about taking a higher dosage of Ativan might be a better route.

Edited by koa

I mean, I drink on psych meds, I really do...I'm off work right now crazy, had two pints of bitter at lunch and now having a big G little T (my husband got a job so we're celebrating, even though I'm fucked in the head).  But I don't mix my Ativan with alcohol.  Alcohol and other psych meds?  No problem.  Ativan?  Nope.  I draw the line.

...as a Canadian, last Olympics the bars opened at 6 am to watch the men's gold medal hockey game.  I take my Ativan in the morning, but I skipped it that morning because I knew I'd be drinking.

...and now that I sound like an alcoholic, I'm out :)

About anxiety getting worse -- I was actually reading yesterday alcohol can give some people rebound anxiety after it wears off. So if you mix alcohol and Ativan then yes, maybe.

On another note -- Ativan and alcohol (or ANY benzo and alcohol) both increase eachother's potency when used at the same time. It can lead to respiratory failure since they both work on the central nervous system, and it's a BIG no-no. People that are otherwise lax can also get overly aggressive since their inhibitions are lowered.

I'm not going to yell at you and tell you not to do it again, because I can't stop you... all I'm going to say is be safe.

Edited by Paranoidling