CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar 2 and getting drunk

So I had a pdoc that once told me that being bipolar 2 makes it harder to get drunk. Is this true? He said it was something with how your brain works.

I am bipolar 2 and CANNOT get drunk. I try and try and it just doesn't happen. I get tipsy, yes, but never DRUNK.

Your experience?

Are you talking about while you're on meds, or as an unmedicated bipolar 2 person?

If you're on meds, then you're absolutely crazy to be putting in the kind of effort that "I try and try and it just doesn't happen" implies. Meds make what happens when you drink unpredictable and dangerous.

If you're talking about trying to get drunk while you're not on meds, I think it's still a ridiculous thing for your doc to have said to you and I really need to see his documentation. Presumably there are studies he can point to? I want to read them.

Are you currently experiencing the desire to get drunk a lot? Because if you are, that says to me that something is happening in your life that is motivating you to try self-medicating. You should probably be seen for a med check. And don't forget to tell Dr. Dipsomaniac about your drinking.

Woah, I never implied I am an alcoholic. I meant I have tried over YEARS of occasional social drinking. It just doesn't happen. Medicated or not.

All I asked was if anyone else had heard this and if you had any experience.

Edited by Tara Dactyl

I spent a good while at Uni slightly trollied, though the recollections of everyone around me were that I was a complete write-off. I'm not sure if it was what I had drunk, or if I was just overly cheerful.

These days I can handle around 2 drinks. 3 or more and you will either get incomprehensible jokes or a monolog on a subjuct dear to my heart. Right now it would be planned obsolescence. That does my head in.

Edited by Katg10

I don't think it's related; however, I'm known with my group of friends to be tolerating alcohol very well. Humpf. My tolerance has changed quite a bit since I'm on medication. I become annoyed and sleepy.

I'm BP2. I used to drink occasionally and get drunk infrequently. I never felt like I was different than most people, except that I found coca cola much more appealing to drink. Beer made me feel bloated, and wine didn't taste that good. 

Now that I'm on mood stabilizers, I can get drunk, but it's not quite "fun." It's like my brain is wrapped in a lead blanket. And I spend the next day or two shaking it off. 

I have a high alcohol tolerance, but I think that's more to do with genetics than anything. I can certainly still get drunk, though I don't do it much anymore, because it mixes unpredictably with my meds. 

perfectly capable of getting drunk, but don't drink at the moment. with meds + current hypomania, I feel drunk after only a couple of sips and then start freaking out that aliens are coming to abduct me and make embarrassing videos on my phone. not super fun!

Well, I'm another BP2 for whom getting 'drunk' is a drink-intensive expensive experience that leads him a bit too close to the edge of death.  Some people say I'm more sober whilst drunk. (!)

My issue (IMO) is that I do not feel the psychological effects of ethanol at all.  In my college days, I'd only notice something was a bit overboard when I was ten seconds from passing out.  I call the effect: "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila... floor!"

I warn you that people like us ought to stay away from significant amounts of alcohol use, since our minds don't apprise us of how potted we are... only the floor does when we hit it, so do be careful!!!

Before meds, I had a pretty high tolerance for alcohol. I had only gotten drunk once, and that was after (stupidly) drinking over half a bottle of rum. Since going on meds, I know that my tolerance has dropped, but I'm not sure by how much since I very rarely drink... and when I do it's usually just one or two drinks. That much alcohol used to do damn near nothing to me before meds. But now, I'll get tipsy after two drinks.

I have found that alcohol didn't make me feel good at all when I was depressed I could drink a lot and just never really feel any better. Isaw the light and quit almost 2 years ago for health and avoiding contact with the law. Weed was the same way and the only effect I got was to feel anxious and depressed. When I am up

I really enjoy it  but I am still putting myself at risk of handcuffs. I'm also contemplating quitting that also.

Hi.

I have BP2, am unmedicated, and I absolutely can NOT get drunk either.

I got drunk once when I was 16 (18 years ago) off of a 1/2 bottle of whiskey,which turned me off of alcohol for a good 7-8 years.(I chugged it, & had terrible night with an incredible hangover afterwards)

But then when I tried again,the most I could ever feel would be a teeeeny bit tipsy.Then my body makes me pee it out almost immediately(5-6 pees in about an hour)and then that's it...I'm sober again.

OR...I will get tired and just go to sleep.But never drunk!

I WISH I could get drunk too sometimes!

It seems I'm just not capable anymore.

I'm so glad you posted this cause I've never heard anyone mention the BP2 correlation.Very interesting stuff!

Edited by BlurredBoundaries