CrazyBoards.org

Well, I used to be prescribed seroquel and now I am prescribed haldol. The haldol does not help me with sleep at all. So, I decided to go back on my seroquel for now. 

I talked to somebody who is on the haldol shot and they take seroquel xr daily. 

I am wondering, has anybody had a haldol shot with daily oral seroquel?

I was told that I can't take oral haldo with oral seroquel. 

I can't not sleep. I can't take it anymore. Sleep is a must. That is why I went back on the seroquel. 

Does anyone here take haldol and seroquel together? 

I want to give the haldol a chance, but with no sleep, it is impossible. 

Edited by InfiniteInsanity

I've taken both before, in the context of short hospitalizations. I believe I have been on 400mg seroquel and 2mg haldol. It was two times, both periods did not last longer than 2-3 weeks each. Sometimes if you take both for long periods of time, you can be at high risk for movement disorders (e. g. tardive dyskinesia) and other super nasty side effects. If you were told by a psychiatrist that you should not take both together, I would consider listening. If you need to sleep, you could perhaps just take the seroquel and not haldol until your next appointment with your doctor.

Please don't make decisions like this without speaking to your psychiatrist.  You are quite correct that sleep is a must, but if you've been told not to take the two together, choosing to self medicate is potentially a big risk.  I feel for you - I have interminable struggles with sleep - but all we can do here on CB is give input based on our own experiences, not tell you for certain whether it's okay for you to do this.

Edited by MiaB

I have taken Seroquel XR 800mg with Haloperidal 5mg 3 x daily when I was hospitalised due to mania. Took this combination for about 1 month (can't remember). Once my mood stabilised, the haloperidal was tapered and discontinued. I now just take Seroquel XR 800mg as my antipsychotic

Some of these medications when mixed together can cause bad side effects. Some interact and make the risk for the side effects that affect your heart more likely. I've had this happen. So be careful and talk to your doctor and pharmacist first. It's not a good idea to mix antipsychotics without talking to them both.

Thank you for the replies. I am currently just taking the seroquel. 

I am just really frustrated. The newer antipsychotics don't seem to be working. I guess I will just have to deal with the voices and paranoia. They are better than insomnia. :/

Have you spoken to your pdoc? Ditching the haldol and taking the seroquel on its own is still self medicating. You're risking an escalation of the psychotic symptoms unless you're properly treated.  Talk to him/her about the sleeplessness. No pdoc worth his/her salt is going to dismiss insomnia as a serious side effect.  You shouldn't "just deal with the voices and paranoia" on your own.

Seroquel and Haldol can cause long QT syndrome (a heart problem), from what I've read and checked at drugs.com. So you definitely need to tell your pdoc or ask your pharmacist if the combo is safe together. taking meds that your pdoc doesn't know about is a problem. 

Thank you! I talked to the psychiatrist and he said I can take seroquel with my haldol. He will do the depot haldol shot next week and I will have seroquel prn. He also started me on meds for my OCD and he said it is sedating. So, I hope it will work out. He also ordered an EKG. My honesty paid off. :)