CrazyBoards.org

New Dr wants to change my BP1 diagnosis to GAD

I went off medicaiton ahile back when I decided to have a baby, 4 years later I need to be on meds. We moved to a new city and had to start over. After seeing 3 DRs over the past 17 years everyone has agreed I am Bipolar 1. The last medication I was on was 200mg of Seroquel and up to 6 for Klonopin, though I rarely took the klonopin. This new DR says I don't have Bipolar, that I have general anxiety disorder. She wants to put me on Prozac and Remeron. I am really upset with this diagnosis change. My symptoms are no different. Why can't I be placed on what I know works for me? 

Wow, that's a lot to digest! I'd be upset too. While there is some overlap in the clinical presentation of anxious and affective symptoms (ex. racing thoughts, though the former is more ruminative), which can be confusing for pdocs, that's a really huge change with potentially drastic medication related consequences. Can you talk to her about your reservations? I'm really sorry that you're going through this.

I agree with another opinion.  I've asked other pdocs in the past if I could see them to see if the diagnosis I had (SZA) was something they thought was right.  I ended up cancelling the appt, but those other pdocs had agreed to see me for a 2nd opinion.  (I cancelled the one appt I'd scheduled because I was in denial of my diagnosis, and by the time that appt came up I was doing better and cancelled).

How many times have you seen this new pdoc? I have had numerous diagnosis changes by the same pdoc as the months and years have gone by and she learns more and more about me. Even previous pdocs were never quite positive to label me with just one diagnosis; the symptoms overlap in so many disorders that it is possible to have multiple diagnoses and the treatment could quite possibly be similar of some of them. See how these new meds work; if they don't certainly complain.

I'd worry more about how the meds made me feel then what the pdoc calls it.