CrazyBoards.org

psychogenic seizure?

Guest alexis

I've been under a huge amount of stress lately, not just that but a lot of uncertainty about my future, the semester ending with poor performance and some unfinished work, etc. and today I had a weird thing happen.

I was taking an online survey, and the next thing I remember was waking up from having fallen into an ultra-deep sleep right in my chair, basically sitting up.

As I woke up, it was like I was waking up from an ultra-deep sleep.  I looked at the survey, which was interactive, and as I recall I hadn't missed more than a couple questions, which came maybe 30 seconds apart.  I was kind of disoriented though, and soon after I tried standing up and walking around and I had a hard time holding my balance for a bit.

It almost seemed like a brief narcoleptic attack, the way I didn't sense I was falling asleep or anything.  (I don't have narcolepsy though.)  Also I might expect something like it from sleep deprivation, but I'm not really sleep deprived.

When I awoke, my toungue was sore.  It hadn't been at all sore before this event.  So later I looked at it in the mirror (still store) and there is a giant purple blotch along the top left side of the tongue.  Now, I'm guessing I bit my tongue when I lost consciousness/fell asleep.  Maybe more than bit it, it seems maybe my teeth were grinding against it, or why would it look and feel the way it does?

So I'm wondering if this is a "psychogenic seizure" or some other kind of seizure.

(By the way, 5 or so years ago when I was stressed and not meeting work performance and changes were occuring in my life with a lot of uncertainty, I blacked out in a supermarket and I only started to wake up as paramedics were trying to deal with me.  That had some things in common with this time, only it was worse.  I didn't bite my tongue though.  That time, I was pretty sleep deprived and food deprived from working really hard the few days before.  Also I went to the store in the morning and there were tons of people there, which seemed to be overwhelming just before I blacked out.)

Any of this sound familiar? (I had febrile seizures as a baby if that makes any difference.)

I've been under a huge amount of stress lately, not just that but a lot of uncertainty about my future, the semester ending with poor performance and some unfinished work, etc. and today I had a weird thing happen.

I was taking an online survey, and the next thing I remember was waking up from having fallen into an ultra-deep sleep right in my chair, basically sitting up.

As I woke up, it was like I was waking up from an ultra-deep sleep.

Yeah, good advice.  I'm going to have to see how much of a neuro visit my insurance will cover, because I'm otherwise broke right now.

I got my credit all fucked up from that 5 year ago thing, between ER, neuro visit, a negative MRI and EEG.  The neuro stuff (especially the MRI) was m

I stopped by a regular doctor today to look at my tongue, and he thought it may just be teeth grinding due to stress.  Anyway stress is a culprit either way, mostly due to the conflict between how my brain functions and how school/college and most jobs work.  I have .  Diving into huge debt, especially unnecessarily, isn't going to help my stress levels either.

My main problems are really more psychiatric, those are part of what makes it difficulty for me to work, etc.

Anyway, if my insurance will cover the visit I'll definitely see a neuro soon.  Otherwise, unless this repeats, I'm going to work on cutting down stress.  (It's hard though, because if I do that too much I sink into dysthymia and accomplish nothing.)

Thanks though.

If youve ever had any type of neuro wacky-ness in your life...whether it be blacking out, or seizures or what not, and something like this has occurred, you need to see a doctor right away. I am no medical professional...but it sounds like some sort of seizure to me, or something along those lines. Youve definately got the triggers...stress...lack of sleep...

When I first started having seizures, my postdictals were more like a fog that I awoke from...very disoriented...I felt like I had no idea what had happenned to me, and it took me a good few to realise who/where/ what was going on...then Id realise I bit my tongue and wet my pants...ussually I had a witness to the incident though...now my postdictals are very frightenning....

You need to get into a neurologist as soon as possible to get this checked out, and tell him/her everything that you just described in this post, along with ALL of your medical history. A neuro can better detect what kind of brain funkiness is going on here, but you also need to cut down on stress, and SLEEP, and eat good. But get into a doctor ASAP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived