CrazyBoards.org

Is it just me, or does everyone drink?

Is it just me, or does everyone have the capacity to drink too much?  I'm not really excessive - decent job (most of the time), decent family (this year anyway), good meeting this eve for volunteer stuff - but still stopped for a drink on the way home (to pick up paperwork, supposedly).  I only drink once/twice a week...rarely too much to drive and then I take a cab or catch a ride with sober friend (yeah, there are those out there at 1 am).  Usually behave, very occasionally sex with a friend/acquantance (but not if they're driving because then everyone would suspect), but never a stranger because I don't trust people that I don't know fairly well.  Always at work on time the next am and I'm generally honest, trustworthy, smart, person.

So why do I have 3-4 drinks in 3-4 hours instead of staying for an hour and having 1 as I'd planned?!?!

hey sweets...wellll i always start off saying i'll only have a couple beers...BUT it ends up ta be 6-8 sooo i dunno 'bout *everyone* but me when i start...i finish!!! ;)

especially if i'm around other people drinking!!!

it doesn't make you a bad person or at this point an alcoholic (in my opinion)...YET...but it can turn into that!!!

good luck n good thoughts ta you!!!

flutterfly xxoo

no, it sounds like you have a fairly "normal" attitude. I will drink till I drop given half the chance and right now am sorely missing magic mushrooms seeing as it's solstice season. Whatever, I'm drunk right now. It just seems like your only problem is regretting drinking - any reason to do that? Given, from what you've said, that you have drinking under control - is there any reason you've not told us that makes it bad? A few extra beers is par for the course once you've started I find....and if you look around you'll see it's the same for many others. Those that can just stop never wanted to drink in the first place and right now, after 3 pints and half a bottle of wine, I don't trust 'em..

I just don't like to drink anymore. Sometimes I wish I did because it would give me a chance to relax and let go for a little while. I use to drink like a fish and do and say really stupid things and spend the whole next day hung over. Having a child changed me so much. My father is an alcoholic and I remember how scarey that is to be a child and see your parent, the one who is supposed to be in control, so out of control. I remember the horrible, disgusting things that the alcohol brought out in him. I can still smell his beer...I can still hear the cracking sound that the can mad when he opened it. It makes me sick. I was heading down that path but then I had a child. I will not do to my child what was done to me.

Is it just me, or does everyone have the capacity to drink too much?

I do occasionally, but I'm a binger. I seem to need to catch a good alcohol buzz about 1 time each month. Then I don't drink in between. It's like I get it out of my system, then I can go back to being Mom, daughter, etc.

Typically, I try to *plan* my debauchery as much as possible, so I can take full advantage of my time free from responsibility.HB Then I go to a neighborhood bar, drink a lot, shoot some pool and tease the younger boys.

My thinking is we all know our own limits, and we can chose to go beyond them whenever we want. But do our best to keep ourselves safe.

Lots of us have suffered some painful consequences from acting out, usually when we're not putting our wellness first, e.g., I have a friend who will stop taking her BP meds so she can go on a bender. She brutalizes those she loves, and does things with far reaching painful consequences. I love her so much because that was my MO 15 years ago.

Finally, drink at home or close to home so you can take a taxi home or walk if it's even questionable about your ability to drive. A taxi is waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a DUI.

Archived