CrazyBoards.org

Music will trigger echoes 95% of the time for me.  With all those echoes I hear (and a lot will appear all of a sudden), I usually just deal with them.  But, a lot of the times I put on headphones with loud music if /when I cant tolerate them.  It is the only thing that helps.  The echoes I hear are usually music and voices of other people (in echo form). 

Oh my God! Yes! There was a woman sitting across from me on the train today who kept rustling the chip packet she was holding and on top of that I could hear her eating loudly it took all my willpower not to yell at her to shut up. I also hate it when people keep sniffing really loudly. For crying out loud people use a tissue and blow your nose!

I think I'm a level 4 but sometimes a level 7 depending on the noise. I just read that there are earplugs that dampen some noises but can still allow for conversations? I might have to look into that.

edit - thanks everyone for telling me what this is called. I thought I just had super strong hearing or something cuz of the Sz symptoms I have.

Edited by RoadToRecovery

I get things like that as well. It's pretty common for people to interperate "white noise" or "grey noise" as a basis for audio hallucinations to happen. I remember I had a friend who was hearing voices in his desk fan, and in his refrigerator air compressor.

What I was talking about was more along the lines of hearing a certain 'real' noise and being aggravated by it or annoyed.

If music is too soft I can hear anything. From people screaming, to doors being slammed.

Even my hard-drive/computer fan spinning on a bad day/night can be too much.

^Same ... the music has to be loud enough for me to drown out what I am hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

What I was talking about was more along the lines of hearing a certain 'real' noise and being aggravated by it or annoyed.

edit - thanks everyone for telling me what this is called. I thought I just had super strong hearing or something cuz of the Sz symptoms I have.

sometimes it is related. i think you should speak with your psychiatrist about it. better to find out it's not, for sure, than to have it be and not realise it.

i say that based on my own difficulties with noises. the worst one for me is when the power lines buzz. i fucking *freak out*. but i find that it disturbs me a lot more when i'm heading toward being less stable or am fully unwell. clocks ticking also triggers me. but then, when i'm more stable, i can handle it without having more destructive thoughts.

i looked at the link B gave on misophonia and though i don't direct things toward other persons or animals, if you count self directed violence or property destruction, i can easily go right on up that scale when i'm not doing so well. i think it's important to talk to your psychiatrist and figure out whether your difficulty is related or not because what i've been told is that the problem with having thoughts that are destructive, however placed or directed, is that repeatedly having them "normalises" them. then, when the situation presents itself, it seems reasonable to be destructive because the thoughts have been there for so long.

i don't know if that makes sense, but the bottom line is that i encourage you to mention to your psychiatrist and see what s/he says.

I have Misophonia, literally translated as 'hatred of sound'. Certain sounds set off an intense fight or flight response in me. I am instantly strongly compelled to harm the person making the sound, but thankfully I never have actually done that. I've found myself mimicking the sound to soothe myself. Apparently, this is a common reaction.

From what I've read, the theory is that somehow sound is translated into a physical sensation in the body, so we 'feel' the noise, not just hear it. I don't go anywhere without ear plugs and earphones.

I sort of experienced this today. I was in Target and just wanted to kick the place over. Every sound was overwhelming to me. And all the stupid products that are made that they want you to buy. Who buys this crap? I had to get the hell out of there in a hurry.