CrazyBoards.org

I just got released from inpatient yesterday. However my pdoc and pnurse did not inform me of what I was in for when I stated I would be admitted for a "meds wash". My pdoc was concerned I was on too many meds and said being at the hospital would help take me off of them rapidly. Instead of a hospital rooms with IV drips...I had my belongings taken from me and put on a locked ward. My pdoc started taking me off most of my meds, many cold turkey. However I was never offered help for withdrawals. After three days, I told my pdoc that I don't belong here.

He said oh, well we could have done this outpatient but thought it would be better here. Really?

I was not in crisis, not suicidal and didn't need to be kept safe. I had to drive 90 min to this hospital on my own.

I guess I am more confused than anything. I am not daft, I know what a psych ward is, but this is not what I was expecting. Plus my pdoc spoke to my husband and they decided that I was not bipolar, did not have OCD, and instead had MDD, conversion disorder, anxiety and a traits of Dependant Personality Disorder.

I guess I am just mad I had to miss work, put my clearance on the line (I work for the federal government), put my job on the line, leave my home only to be told this could have been done at home and your not bipolar because your "hypomanic episodes" are happening too late in life, so you can't be bipolar. Any opinions? Did I do the right thing leaving? Did my pdoc pull a fast one?

What he did sounds really stupid. Some meds you can't just stop cold-turkey, and while mosts docs would know this, your guy sounds like an idiot and I wouldn't have trusted him about playing it safe.

For the not being bipolar because of episodes too late in life, according to NIMH:

Bipolar disorder often appears in the late teens or early adult years. At least half of all cases start before age 25. Some people have their first symptoms during childhood, while others may develop symptoms late in life.

A conversion disorder has no tie in with your previous diagnosis, so no clue where they got those.

People with OCD tend to have high levels of anxiety and that anxiety manifests itself through compulsions. So that's one was kind of true, a little.

As for MDD, from what I've seen, people tend to know if they have MDD or not. So if you do, you would probably be able to tell for yourself.

And for Dependent PD traits, check here for the traits and see for yourself if you agree with that one.

(I hope that helps... I don't know... Just my opinions.)

Edited by BorderlineWintergirl

Well going IP for a meds wash would imply that they want to do it fast, for whatever reason. Personally If I were going to go through withdrawal from meds the last place I'd want to be is Inpatient. Nothing to do there except sit around thinking about how miserable you feel. The only upside is you get help if something very bad happens, I guess.

As far as the change in diagnosis - realize bipolarity is to some extent in the eye of the beholder, or psychiatrist. One way to think of it is as a spectrum from unipolar to bipolar, and people who are in the grey area in the middle will be diagnosed as bipolar by some pdocs and unipolar by others. So I'd guess you're in the grey area. What really matters though is which meds work for you. On the bipolar side you might have issues with antidepressants. On the unipolar side mood stabilizers may not do as much for you.

I understand why you're angry, but just from what you're writing it sounds like there's a communication issue going on between you and your pdoc. Did he say why he wanted to do it IP or why fast? Did he give you a choice? Did you get the opportunity to ask questions? Really the same issue with the diagnoses - do you know his reasoning for each diagnosis? And why you're this and not that? You should be told that.

What I'm also wondering is if you have the time at each appt to ask questions and get reasonably good answers. Or is he just a lousy communicator? Or are you too shy to ask?

If you were going to be taken off multiple meds very fast, it is not surprising that your pdoc would want you inpatient in case your mental state deteriorated suddenly. I don't think your doctor was pulling a fast one but was instead just looking out for your safety. Whether it was a good idea or not to go off all those meds is a different story.