CrazyBoards.org

This is disgusting....

The charges against Ozcelik are understood to relate to the Kurdistan Workers party (PKK), which is outlawed in Britain and has spent decades fighting the Turkish army in a separatist conflict.

The principle of it sounds wrong, but I think (in the light of the above extract) that it's a little more nuanced than the way you're presenting it.  She's a British citizen trying to join a group which has been outlawed by the UK.

The charges against Ozcelik are understood to relate to the Kurdistan Workers party (PKK), which is outlawed in Britain and has spent decades fighting the Turkish army in a separatist conflict.

The principle of it sounds wrong, but I think (in the light of the above extract) that it's a little more nuanced than the way you're presenting it.  She's a British citizen trying to join a group which has been outlawed by the UK.

they are not really a group, they are an army defending their country from terrorism. She is probably a Syrian woman wanting to fight for her country, to bring peace and abolish terrorism. Why she shouldn't be allowed to join an army that is not at war with the UK or the west for that matter, westerners have gone fighting too, even non-muslim/non-middle eastern Americans have gone to fight against terrorism, why she should be charged with 'terrorism'. Maybe 'warcrime' (still wrong) but terrorism, no, can you not see the irony?

It's far more nuanced.

I strongly suspect that far more than  an exultant "we've caught an terrorist!"

it's a case of "she's young, we don't want her setting an example other to other British teenagers, so is there *anything* was can actually charge her with in this messy situation which will keep her out of Syria while the law and the situation is re-evaluated?"

"The charges against Ozcelik are understood to relate to the Kurdistan Workers party (PKK), which is outlawed in Britain and has spent decades fighting the Turkish army in a separatist conflict."

...since in any but an over-simplistic presentation the Kurds are not just  "the good guys", here. Any more than Iran is for supplying and to some extent staffing the Shia militias which are some of the more effective units amongst those attacking ISIS in Tikrit.

(Hang on, isn't barely-covert supply of munitions and manpower what the West *accuses" Putin of in the Ukraine?  Ah, it's OK if it's in a cause we approve of...?)

If she comes to trial and gets a heavy sentence I'll revise my position, but  I still think this is considered by British a temporary legal expedient in lieu of any better move in a political and military mess.

Chris