CrazyBoards.org

New here

Hi my name is Debbie. I am almost 60 years old taking care of my husband 6 weeks post quadruple bypass and my mother who has dementia. I have been having severe headaches for 2 months, cat scan clear, saw a neurologist who put me on Amitriptyline 10 mg at night. After reading posts here I'm not sure if I should take it or not. Any experience would help. I just gained weight from stopping smoking 2 years ago so don't wanna put on any more weight. The weight gain just adds to my depression. Not feeling good about myself!

Hi, Debbie. Welcome to CB. Feel free to contact me or one of the other mods if you need help figuring out how the site works.

As with any medication, you can't tell from someone else's results whether amittiptyline is going to work for you or not until you're been on it for a few weeks. Try to be patient. There are loads of other meds out there if this one doesn't help.

Hi Debbie and welcome to Crazyboards.  I do agree with Gearhead about giving the med a try, and there are lots of other ones to try if it doesn't work.

It sounds like you have your hands full.  I'm in my 60s, also, so you will have some age peers if you continue to hang around.

I don't know if counseling is a possibility for you, but it sounds like you could use some therapy just to cope with the stresses in your life.  Is there any kind of day-care available for your mother so you could get a break for a few hours a day?  I had a friend whose mother had Alzheimer's and there was a program in his town from 9 AM to 3 PM every day, for elderly people with those issues.

I hope you will stick around---this is a great group of people and it sounds like you could use some support and friendship.

olga

I looked after my dearly demented one for about four years before it became too much for me. I was looking after my dad at the same time. After reading all the posts here which med resonates with you better, do you think?

Good morning, everyone.  I just joined.  I am a 56 y/o female on disability due to depression, anxiety and memory concentration problems due to long-standing severe depression.  I have multiple drug allergies and am allergic to many of the binders in medications.  I currently take liquid Doxepin but recently had to stop my generic Lamictal tablets due to allergy issues.  My shrink is putting me on Lithium liquid next along with the Doxepin.  I have dealt with depression most of my adult life and am so over trying to find the right concoction of meds.  My family doesn't understand nor do they try anymore -- I'm just the crazy mom.  I'm divorced and ironically, I've had enough therapy, I feel I could actually make a marriage work now -- but no takers on the horizon.  I am a glass mosaic artist but with messed up meds, it is hard to get creative.  Will start Lithium today -- any tips on it's side effects, etc would be appreciated.  :D

Frosty, if you want some replies to your questions, start your own thread in the introductions section.  People won't see it if you introduce yourself on someone else's thread.

Also, you can post your med question in our "cocktail" forum.  More people will respond to you there.

Good luck and I hope you stay with us.  I'm glad you found us.

olga