CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Geek

Talking about MAOI Diet

I don't know where to put this, but I suppose it is most apt here.

I take Parnate. I stick to the diet outlined here.

It's easy enough to keep to the diet when I am preparing my own food or with people who know of my MI. 

I'm struggling with the social aspect. How do I say no to Chinese food because it is hard to get a meal without soy sauce in it? My work is right near an Olive Garden... do you know how difficult it is to find food on their menu without cheese in it? Generally multiple kinds of cheese. Pizza ordered in to my office often has more cheeses than just mozzarella, or it has pepperoni. 

How to navigate all of this without saying it's related to medication? Work is not a safe place to be MI. Furthermore, I'm supposed to be working on making friends and it's hard to go out to eat.

As far as cheese, many folks are lactose intolerant, no reason you can't be too. I don't eat cheese myself cus I don't like it.

I don't eat Chinese food due to msg. Often it can be made without, but I prefer to pass, as the head ache is horrid.

Little white lies. But at least keeps you in the social game.

Allergies are a good thing to say. Most non-MI people won't know about MAOI food restrictions.

you could say that you have recently found out you have food allergies, you could say that you're on a specific diet for your overall health, you could say that you want to save money and are going to bring your own food to work, you could also just say you're trying out a new diet. no one needs to know why or for what reason and it's not their business to pry further. malachite is right, most people don't know about MAOI food restrictions and even those who do won't automatically be suspicious and picking apart your food choices. and those who might notice probably aren't going to judge you anyway because there's a good reason they know and that's because they're familiar with MI - either personally or otherwise.

i'm a vegan and once i say so most people don't push the subject or pry further unless they're jerks. i can usually find one thing to eat wherever i go - even if it is pretty boring. it's best to be prepared and come with food so people don't pressure you.

After taking an MAOI for over fifteen years, I found that the diet restriction list is overly cautious. I'm not advocating you eat any of those foods without first consulting your doctor. I never had trouble with pizza or Chinese food.

And I agree, almost nobody knows what an MAOI is, and therefore nobody is going to guess you're on an MAOI diet. All of the above suggestions are good, particularly saying you're allergic, have a bad reaction, or just don't like certain foods. I always skipped red wine by saying I always get headaches from them, which was partly true even when I didn't take an MAOI.

Yeah I've been on parnate for about a month now and I feel like such a pain asking for lists of ingredients and it takes me ages to work through a menu, though if it makes you feel any better so many people have dietary issues these days or are vegan/vegetarian most people don't even flinch when you say you can't eat something, I just say I have a blood pressure condition

1. No money excuse

2. The "not hungry" excuse

3. Not in the mood for "this type of food."

4.  I'm cutting back on "this type of food."

5. I don't really like "this type of food" anymore 

6. Order something else 

7. Ever thought about just saying "sorry, can't eat this cause of meds"? 

On 3/18/2015 at 7:39 PM, dragonfly23 said:

As far as cheese, many folks are lactose intolerant, no reason you can't be too. I don't eat cheese myself cus I don't like it.

That’s genius.

On 3/18/2015 at 8:32 PM, sam78 said:

After taking an MAOI for over fifteen years, I found that the diet restriction list is overly cautious. I'm not advocating you eat any of those foods without first consulting your doctor. 

This is Russian roulette. My mother was on Nardil for about 20 years, and she has binge eating disorder, so she never paid any attention at all to the dietary rules. And she had a minor stroke. It is really, really not worth fucking around with for some Gruyère.