CrazyBoards.org

Insomniac Theatre

I've got a couple that sleep right beyond my bedroom wall. (They like to...err..."have fun" in the morning, so I know sound transmits fairly well through the wall. And through the ceiling, thanks to similar upstairs neighbors in the past.)

If your tv has a headphone jack, get dangerously close to the screen and plug yourself in. If not, well, there's always reading (my personal favorite) or playing games. (Solitaire, internet games with other people (like on Yahoo Games), playing how-many-times-can-I-throw-a-playing-card-into-a-hat, etc.) Draw a picture. Write a letter. Make food and get inventive with the food coloring (a normal-seeming, white-frosted cake that's magically NEON GREEN inside!!). Pick up a hobby like origami or model building or puzzles (logic puzzles, jigsaws, whatever). I've been known to do any of these on nights that sleep isn't an option.

I think sometimes I get a little tooinventive with the nighttime activities. *sideways glance at my rainbow-painted Batman action figure* But at least I'm entertaining myself.

I can't sleep.  Just awoke from a nightmare in which I was with a friend as she was driving her car.  We kept coming upon objects in the road and weird splits in the highway, but we managed to successfully navigate. 

Then somehow, we had to pull over, because we saw this near-wreck in front of us... a car stopping, and then 2 women getting out.

I sensed they would hurt us, so I ran ahead and down into a deep ravine kind of thing, with railroad.... whattyacall'em passing over hte top.  Like a railroad bridge.  So, I'm down at the bottom, and there's water beneath me, and my friend is up top with the crazy woman, trying to calm her down.  The crazy woman is dropping boulders down, viciously trying to hit me.  Somehow, I avoid the boulders and end up in the water.  Then the crazy woman is there, biting me on the neck because she is a vampire. 

Then I realize that I'm a vampire too, and I come across another vampire/victim of the woman in the water.  She reassures me that it's not really THAT terrible being a vampire, but that we need to figure out a way to escape the crazy broad.  I was freakin' in my nightmare, and then I woke up.

WTF did all that mean?  My friend never reappeared, btw.  She was still at the top of the gorge, I think.

hi.. yeah insomnia sucks.  off meds sometimes i wont fall asleep until its already mid-morning!!  ;)

ive been saving my ativans for close to bedtime for sleep in addition to the lunesta i take.  my pdoc actually said this was acceptable and one idea to help me sleep.  it doesnt help with your klonopin if you need the klonopin during the day as well, though, but you might be able to move the doses of klonopin closer to bedtime.

i agree with the xbox idea.  i got PS2 and i play that at night and it helps me pass time/relax and get tired, because using the internet can get to be too much work.

I downloaded a video game (Age of Empires III), which required freeing up several gigs of hard drive, only to realize I need a newer video card, and can no longer spend money on such things. Dammit.

I didn't get to bed until past 4 am last night. Just needed to stay up and be ALONE, you know? Anyone else ever have that urge, to just be alone for a few hours, no matter what? It seems to feed into my insomnia, though I've slept pretty well in general for several years.

Any of you live like sardines, where you have to be super quiet at night?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh man!  all i have to say is woohoo for roommates and dorm living! :::sarcasm:::

my roommate always goes to sleep around 11 (sometimes earlier, sometimes a little later) and has to have complete silence and darkness.  she whines when i refuse to turn all of the lights off, even if i am still doing my homework!  whining is not very attractive on 20 year olds... hell no.

ok... i have stopped myself bc if i keep going, i cannot be held responsible for the things i might say!  ugh!!!!

Ophelia, my roomates are MY radically rightwing parents, for one more month. Right now, I'm in a Holiday Inn, blessedly alone. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Last night I had a major claustrophobia attack. And I'm having a rough time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ouch... well, hopefully the Holiday Inn is doing well by you!  sorry that you are having a hard time  ;)

im now out of my dorm and back at home (as of last night).  now i need to try to decide which one is worse... both are pretty restrictive, but i dont really have any alternitives...

some of us should get together and make our own crazy circus house.... it would be a true asylum run by the inmates! j/k

I didn't get to bed until past 4 am last night. Just needed to stay up and be ALONE, you know? Anyone else ever have that urge, to just be alone for a few hours, no matter what? It seems to feed into my insomnia, though I've slept pretty well in general for several years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez, Jem. You just described me to a tee. I always need time alone to myself (how's that for redundancy?), no matter how tired I am or how late it is -- or how early I need to get up in the morning. I've needed this as far back as I can remember. And, yes...I do think it feeds into my insomnia, too.

Have no suggestions. Hell, it's 4:31 AM and I'm at my computer. And when I stop this, I will still need to decompress. It's nuts. For whatever it's worth, I can relate.

Actually revlow I do have one suggestion for the need to be alone feeding insomnia thing. I've suffered from this far far less since I've found a way to be busy working all day but also having a lot of alone time while working. Carpentry is great this way. It's meditative too, so it's not crappy idle alone time (as late night TV can be). At the end of the day, usually, I've had enough alone time. This week was a lot of blurred boundaries and dealing with some other people's personal lives, which was OK, but then Friday night I got together with my mother and saw the 3 hour King Kong, so by the time I got home from my week I was craving some alone time.

Oh so my suggestion was to consider job and lifestyle things that allow one to have a lot of productive alone time. Not an easy suggestion, but then it wasn't easy for me to turn my whole life inside out. It was a major depression.

Archived