CrazyBoards.org

I want to opt out of christmas.

in the past 2 years, I've had a really hard time with giftmas. I get so depressed, I force myself to sleep all day and night, and when I'm awake and around people all I want is to get away so I can feel sad without feeling guilty for those who see it. The only word I can think to describe it is 'desperate,' which isn't entirely accurate. But that just comes to mind instantly.

Last year, was so bad, I made a silent promise to myself, when I move out, I'm going to pretend christmas doesn't exist. I'm going to pretend there is no difference between december 25th and april 25th, except with snow.

I can feel it coming on already, and I'm not happy with anything. The only good thing which might come of it, is that I'll be so angry when its over I can scream at my psychiatrist for being such a cunt, thinking that a minute amount of lithium would somehow counter the fact that remeron has failed me. I hate him for not taking me serious, and maybe with post-christmas-depression-rage, I'll finally show him that he's been wrong all along.

i stopped celebrating christmas years ago.

I will receive a gift from mum, basically by buying something months prior and telling her that's what she got me.  I do christmas things with my girlfriend but she loves that kind of stuff and it makes her happy.  To me, chrismas is an excuse to make my patented vegetarian stuffing.

Find a way to celebrate at your speed, or don't celebrate at all.  all these holidays are made up anyway, so do what you like.

Me and DH buy each other things all year round, so by the time Xmas finally comes around...it's like uhm...now what? So we buy things for our kitty cat. or we just get things for the fmailies (ok, I get things for the fmaily, and he says it's all commerical bullshit, well, yes it is, but I like wrapping paper and tape...lots of tape...those bastards need box cutters to get to their presents damnit, I'm going to make them work for it).

Well, you can make stuffing and go order Chinese food. And then you can go catch a movie or something...movies are always open, and the lines are usually hella short, beacuse well, nobody is there.

I highly recommend seeing Narina...it's awesome, and the scenary is amazing. To my knowledge it's supposed to be very much like the books.

My dumbass waited in line, in my pajamas in literally freezing cold weather to get my tickets. The other people in line, were like, if you want to go to your car, we'll hold your spot, and I was like NO way. But it was worth the freezing cold ass weather.

Can you please send me your recipe via pm for your stuffing (unless it's secret, in which case, II can totally understand). I am a stuffing whore. ANd I keep adding and taking away things- I love putting dried cranberries in it (ok, I know it sounds gross, but really, I dig it).

I stopped ages ago too.  I am normally guilted into joined my family for the meal.  But soon as I get there I go "hi all" and "hello mr liquor cabinet" and drink till I sleep on the floor.  I cant remember about the last 4 dinners.

This year is different cause my bf is coming from the other side of the country on the 25th so I am collecting him from the airport then straight to my parents for lunch.  So I cant drink and drive.

Argh!!!!  all I say to the parents is "and you wonder why I am medicated?"

I'm with you. I wish I could have emergency surgery and be in a coma for a week and miss it all. I forced myself to shop yesterday and managed to go into 2 stores. I'm debating now how to handle going to relatives' houses---take drugs, or skip the drugs so I can drink. I absolutely HATE Christmas and can't wait until it's over. I'm thankful my kids are teenagers and are mostly interested in getting giftcards or money.

On a positive note, I felt absolutely wonderful when I bought a gift certificate for a needy family my department at work is sponsoring. That's what all the crazies at Best Buy should be doing.

db

Yeah, that was the book they mangled. The book itself is good. My girlfriend, who read Skipping Christmas at the same time I did thought the movie was pretty bad, but enjoyed the book.

Remember, NEVER judge a book by its movie...LOL

My husband celebrates the solstice...mainly because he knows that SAD symptoms will be lessening day by day ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that sounds like a logical thing to do. I don't readily see a pattern to my mood, but if i knew there was one, I'd have something to look forward to as it ends :)

Try Festivus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This seems plausible, though I don't know where i will find a pole. unless i steal one from the tennis court behind my house... lol

christmas is a lot like mother's day and father's day... it's very profitable.  There's less meaning in the presents given at christmas than a present given with genuine and spontaneous love any other time.  it's about dutiful giving, something you have to do, because everyone else is, and you wouldn't be normal otherwise.

Happy Cynicism!

Archived