CrazyBoards.org

Sorry that my first post here is a new topic but I'm having major issues worrying about developing some form of psychosis.

I'd like to know how old were you when you experienced your first psychosis or symptoms of it?

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression since my very early 20's. It all started after an awful experience with LSD. Over the years (now 33) the most frightening thing for me has been depersonalization/derealization. When it happens I become convinced that some form of psychosis will follow. My doctors said that at my age and history of anxiety and depression it's very unlikely.

I'd just like to know your thoughts. Is it unlikely at 33 with no prior symptoms?

Thank you for reading if you got this far.

i can't speak to the likelihood of being thirty three without symptoms. your care providers are probably best equipped to provide that statistical info.

as for your question about how old when first psychotic... the short answer is that i can't really say for certain, but i'd guess late teens. i can say for certain that i was first involuntarily hospitalised and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in university after an unfortunate incident.

the reason i can't say for certain when the voices started is twofold: 1. my memory is not great from repeated breaks and ECT; 2. when i first started hearing voices i alternated between thinking everyone heard voices, these were just mine...and having suspicions that the information i was told by them and the orders they gave were intended only for me and that there would be very negative consequences if others found out. so, i was rather secretive about it all. that's to say i didn't document it or have a record that could be traced and i didn't keep a journal or anything, so it'd be impossible for me to say precisely when it all began. i'd estimate late teens.

Some of my hallucinations have been around as long as I can remember. I used to see characters from Disney movies when I was little. This changed into cats and shadowy men that also talked as I got older. Then I got paranoid that people were watching me, following me, going to hurt me, etc. around age 15 or 16. Then my mood began to fluctuate (I have Schizoaffective, not full out Schizophrenia). So I'd say it started around the time the things I saw actually started talking, which would be, as I said, at around 15 or 16. 

If you are truly concerned you may be experiencing psychosis, it's always ok to ask for a second opinion if you feel strongly enough. Some doctors are happy to refer you on.

It’s very unlikely to occur later in life, but psychosis can occur at any age.  I say this, not to provoke undue anxiety, but because understanding this was essential in accepting my Dx.  My first psychotic episode was in my 30s.  

I didn’t know it was a hallucination, but I definitely knew that something was wrong. I heard voices that no one else heard.  

I wouldn’t worry about it, unless it happens.  It sounds like your fears may be the result of anxiety, rather than being based on the actual chances of developing psychosis.     

Thank you so much for replying. So far.

Did you have any idea that they were hallucinations when they first started happening?

When I was little and just saw them I thought it happened to everyone. When they started talking to me... I knew I had a problem. But I didn't tell anyone for a few years after it started happening.

I've had negative symptoms since I can remember, maybe 10-14? at that point i was having mild paranoid thoughts that were more linked with anxiety/stress than anything else. They thought i just had something like schizoid or schizotypal personality disorder. This year, at 21, i hit that threshold of my disease and was finally diagnosed

Did you have any idea that they were hallucinations when they first started happening?

No, I didn't really know what to think of it all.  It started as someone thinking to me in my head, then maybe a week later the actual audible voices started.  I didn't tell anyone though because I was told they would all play stupid and it would look like I was crazy.  They said only some people could do what I do, and the others just had no clue as to what was going on in general in the world.

The word "hallucination" didn't come into my mind for a long time ... I knew I was "hearing voices," but I didn't know they were hallucinations.  I also didn't tell my DR for a few years about all that was going on, and eventually the word hallucinate came up.

I think it started for me around age 14. My first dxs was depression and DID. I was hospitalized a few weeks after being diagnosed.

I know when I was 15 I had an extremely bad psychotic episode in which the police got involved. Everything just went downhill for me from there. I was diagnosed with psychotic depression, and Bipolar NOS. This was back in 2007/2008

I was eventually diagnosed Schizoaffective when I was 16, and that stuck, until I was re-diagnosed Bipolar 2 and potentially Borderline at 20... and then back to Schizoaffective at 21.

Well at first I didn't think I'd had anything but one particular incident 20 years ago and another 10 years ago, but then Melli took me aside once and pointed out to me that I had a lot more stuff going on than I thought I did. I am not sure precisely where stuff started. I definitely had schizotypal traits going back to childhood, and I seem to have had multiple periods during which I got caught up in ideas of reference and magical thinking. I also had at least two periods which could be described as psychotic episodes - one 20 years ago and one ten years ago, but there are possibly other periods that I just don't remember or see in such a way that would lead me to categorize them as "could be described as psychotic episodes." After last year's episode I got diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, although the various professionals I've seen seem to have different ideas about when my issues started, even when I tell them all the same thing.

Edited by Bellatrix