CrazyBoards.org

Then why do you roam around the internet with the same rambling essay? You seem to get the same reaction of scorn and derision everywhere that you go. It must be doing something for you, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

Then why do you roam around the internet with the same rambling essay? You seem to get the same reaction of scorn and derision everywhere that you go. It must be doing something for you, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

It's because I have yet to find a fully compassionate and fully respectful person such as my mother or therapist who will engage with me and not have scorn and such towards me.  I am looking for an intelligent version of my mom and therapist since my mom and therapist are not all that intelligent, but are very respectful and compassionate nonetheless.  So in other words, I am looking for someone who is both intelligent and has full respect and full compassion towards me.  Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason for others to have any scorn and disrespect towards my writing since I am a suffering person with a difficult situation, too.  For others to disrespect me and have scorn towards me is belittling of me and my suffering and I would then return the favor by being abusive towards these types of people.  However, I won't be abusive here since I was told by the staff not to.

Edited by MattMVS7

Most people have compassion. A lot of people here suffer from anhedonia and understand what it is like. No one wants you to be suffering. However, when people uniformly react the same way to what you are posting then you have to ask yourself why. Maybe it is something you are doing that makes people react poorly.

From where I sit, it appears that you write very long and drawn out posts and assert it as fact and absolute truth and reject everyone who tries to point out the flaws in your argument. That can be infuriating to people who took the time to write a response.

In order to find compassion we need to be compassionate to others. Making people wade through a wall of text is not very respectful of their time; I could read a one-paragraph summary and know what I was dealing with, but we're all here voluntarily. I don't want to read a missive every time you post as I find it exhausting. When I'm exhausted I am less able to show my compassion because I need to keep it for myself at that point - it makes me selfish.

If you're looking for intelligence then great. However, intelligence can be critical, especially when presented with essays. It tends to think "oh! an essay! I can critique an essay!" rather than think about the writer behind the essay. That's a different mindset. If you would like people to think about you as a person and to be considerate to you as a person then perhaps getting readers to engage their critical reasoning skills isn't the best approach to take. After all, knowing our audience is one of the most key components to a successful essay. Deflecting from you as a person by asking for writing critiques isn't going to get you both intelligence and compassion engaging with you.

In order to find compassion we need to be compassionate to others. Making people wade through a wall of text is not very respectful of their time; I could read a one-paragraph summary and know what I was dealing with, but we're all here voluntarily. I don't want to read a missive every time you post as I find it exhausting. When I'm exhausted I am less able to show my compassion because I need to keep it for myself at that point - it makes me selfish.

If you're looking for intelligence then great. However, intelligence can be critical, especially when presented with essays. It tends to think "oh! an essay! I can critique an essay!" rather than think about the writer behind the essay. That's a different mindset. If you would like people to think about you as a person and to be considerate to you as a person then perhaps getting readers to engage their critical reasoning skills isn't the best approach to take. After all, knowing our audience is one of the most key components to a successful essay. Deflecting from you as a person by asking for writing critiques isn't going to get you both intelligence and compassion engaging with you.

What I'm trying to do here is make people realize that nothing they can tell me can ever change my immense value towards my pleasure.  That I can never find other things of good value to live for in my life without my feelings of pleasure and that I would never accept and would never live a life without my feelings of pleasure.  I want them to no longer try to convince me that there are other good things I can live for and to no longer convince me that I can still find worth and such in this life without my feelings of pleasure.  If they do try to convince me, then I post these long-winded refutations in return so that they realize that there is truly no reason for me to find worth and good value in my own personal life without my feelings of pleasure.  I want these people to instead respond to me in such a way that says: "I see.  I realize that your feelings of pleasure are the one and only things of good value to you in your personal life and just how much you must have them back.  I will no longer try to convince you otherwise and I fully respect your hedonistic values."  My feelings of pleasure are all that matter to me in terms of my own personal life and nothing else will ever matter to me in terms of my own personal life I live for myself.

If they are people who call me selfish, disrespect me, call me a crybaby, etc., then the same thing also applies.  I will post long-winded refutations to these people and their claims that I am selfish and such so that they have full respect and compassion towards me and respect my hedonistic values and no longer call me such names anymore or mock me in any other given way.  In other words, I just want these types of people to be quiet and to respect my hedonistic values.  If these people insist on calling me names anyway and in displaying a tonality towards me that I deem as disrespect, then I will become abusive towards these people.  My feelings of pleasure are my own personal life here that I absolutely must fully have back in my life and you should respect that.

Edited by MattMVS7

I don't see anything but empathy though. Every poster that has talked about their anhedonia has talked about how shitty it is. No one wants to deny you your right (given the possibilities currently available) to be free of negative symptoms, and they've shared how they accomplish it. For many of the members here it seems to be meds and sometimes therapy. I've not re-read them all to do a statistical analysis, but I don't see anyone complaining about hedonism.

What I don't understand is that you came here posting long-winded refutations (as you so compassionately put it) before anyone here had ever heard of you before. So what did you think would happen? You didn't come in with "hello. I'm Matt. I have anhedonia. Do you?" Instead it took this long for us to even figure out what you were talking about. I find it frustrating and I doubt that I'm the only one. We're all crazy here and we all have limited mental resources. 

Your long-winded refutations are inherently disrespectful and you started out by posting them. It took us this long to figure out what you were talking about. So what were you expecting to happen?

So if no one can change your mind, why are you even here? We are a peer support site. We like to help people solve problems. But you are saying that you can't be helped. What do you want from us?

I don't see anything but empathy though. Every poster that has talked about their anhedonia has talked about how shitty it is. No one wants to deny you your right (given the possibilities currently available) to be free of negative symptoms, and they've shared how they accomplish it. For many of the members here it seems to be meds and sometimes therapy. I've not re-read them all to do a statistical analysis, but I don't see anyone complaining about hedonism.

What I don't understand is that you came here posting long-winded refutations (as you so compassionately put it) before anyone here had ever heard of you before. So what did you think would happen? You didn't come in with "hello. I'm Matt. I have anhedonia. Do you?" Instead it took this long for us to even figure out what you were talking about. I find it frustrating and I doubt that I'm the only one. We're all crazy here and we all have limited mental resources. 

Your long-winded refutations are inherently disrespectful and you started out by posting them. It took us this long to figure out what you were talking about. So what were you expecting to happen?

Because respect, to me, is the most important thing.  It is vital that people respect my hedonistic values first before I even introduce myself and explain my situation of anhedonia.

... by asking people to wade through a wall of text (inherently disrespectful)?

So am I correct in understanding that you came here, disrespectful of us, demanding that we respect you? Because that's certainly how it's coming across to me right now.

That leads into the question of why should we respect you before you give us respect? And I'm not just talking about us, but every forum across the internet where you engage in this behaviour. It's a pattern with you, and it doesn't seem to be working. So maybe it's time to try something else.

... by asking people to wade through a wall of text (inherently disrespectful)?

So am I correct in understanding that you came here, disrespectful of us, demanding that we respect you? Because that's certainly how it's coming across to me right now.

That leads into the question of why should we respect you before you give us respect? And I'm not just talking about us, but every forum across the internet where you engage in this behaviour. It's a pattern with you, and it doesn't seem to be working. So maybe it's time to try something else.

First off, it is vital that people realize that feelings of pleasure are the only things that define my good life.  If I just came in here, introduced myself, and simply said that "feelings of pleasure are the only things that matter to me in my personal life," then many people would be able to refute that statement.  However, if I presented long winded refutations of my own to them to begin with, then they would be likely to no longer argue against me and they would no longer be able to come up with anymore counterarguments.  Instead, they would finally realize that my feelings of pleasure are the only things that define my good life.

As for that being disrespect, it is not.  Imagine if someone lost the only good thing to him/her in his/her life like me and the only thing that mattered to him/her was for others to respect him/her and for them to truly realize that this good thing he/she lost was the only thing that defined his/her life as good.  But then other people came up to that person and said that it is disrespectful of him/her to even think that way and to talk in long-winded manners to try and convince these people that this good thing was the only thing that made his/her life worth living.

Edited by MattMVS7

First off, it is vital that people realize that feelings of pleasure are the only things that define my good life.  

We realize that. You've made that clear enough.

Imagine if someone lost the only good thing to him/her life like me and the only thing that mattered to him/her was for others to respect him/her and for them to truly realize that this good thing he/she lost was the only thing that defined his/her life as good.

Why is it so important for us to realize that? Since you are immune to any attempts to help you correct your worldview to one that is more healthy.

Since we can't help you, why should we care?

Edited by jt07

First off, it is vital that people realize that feelings of pleasure are the only things that define my good life.  

We realize that. You've made that clear enough.

Imagine if someone lost the only good thing to him/her life like me and the only thing that mattered to him/her was for others to respect him/her and for them to truly realize that this good thing he/she lost was the only thing that defined his/her life as good.

Why is it so important for us to realize that? Since you are immune to any attempts to help you correct your worldview to one that is more healthy.

Since we can't help you, why should we care?

Because there are other things we can talk about as well besides my hedonistic values such as my plans to recover from this anhedonia, medication, therapies, etc.  It was just vital that I got all of that hedonistic/respect issue out of the way first.

As for that being disrespect, it is not.  Imagine if someone lost the only good thing to him/her life like me and the only thing that mattered to him/her was for others to respect him/her and for them to truly realize that this good thing he/she lost was the only thing that defined his/her life as good.  But then other people came up to that person and said that it is disrespectful of him/her to even think that way and to talk in long-winded manners to try and convince these people that this good thing was the only thing that made his/her life worth living.

OK, I get it. You've lost your reason for living. Your mom and your therapist are sad for you, but they aren't really smart enough to understand the full extent of the tragedy. You're hoping that maybe we are. Certainly there are plenty of people here who have dealt with anhedonia and who know how crappy it is. I have, and I do. Consider your feelings validated. You needn't send any more diatribes.

So what else is it that you want, exactly? We don't do pity parties here. We do support for people who are in treatment and trying to get better. Ask a logical question about what other people have done (meds, therapy, etc.) to recover from anhedonia, and you'll start getting useful responses.

As for that being disrespect, it is not.  Imagine if someone lost the only good thing to him/her life like me and the only thing that mattered to him/her was for others to respect him/her and for them to truly realize that this good thing he/she lost was the only thing that defined his/her life as good.  But then other people came up to that person and said that it is disrespectful of him/her to even think that way and to talk in long-winded manners to try and convince these people that this good thing was the only thing that made his/her life worth living.

OK, I get it. You've lost your reason for living. Your mom and your therapist are sad for you, but they aren't really smart enough to understand the full extent of the tragedy. You're hoping that maybe we are. Certainly there are plenty of people here who have dealt with anhedonia and who know how crappy it is. I have, and I do. Consider your feelings validated. You needn't send any more diatribes.

So what else is it that you want, exactly? We don't do pity parties here. We do support for people who are in treatment and trying to get better. Ask a logical question about what other people have done (meds, therapy, etc.) to recover from anhedonia, and you'll start getting useful responses.

Actually, it was like this.  My mom and therapist do understand the full extent of my misery.  It's just that I wanted other people to understand as well.  Namely, intelligent people who claim that one's own personal life can still be good and worth living even without feelings of pleasure.  Also, go ahead and read my previous post as well with that brief statement since that addresses what you said here.

So what is your plan for recovery, then? Outside of Internet diatribes, I mean. What ELSE are you doing to recover?

Because there are other things we can talk about as well besides my hedonistic values such as my plans to recover from this anhedonia, medication, therapies, etc.  It was just vital that I got all of that hedonistic/respect issue out of the way first.

Then by all means, let's move on and talk about your plans to recover. I think that would be more productive than your stating and restating and restating the problem.

Edited by jt07
numerous grammar problems

I plan on taking licorice root sometime since I heard that helps recover anhedonia.  My anhedonia is the result of a dysregulated stress response.  This causes the feelings of pleasure to turn off in order for the brain to try and regulate itself again.  I feel a strong and sort of rapid pulse that I never felt before I had this anhedonia.  Therefore, that must be the dysregulated stress response and I am trying to take licorice root to calm that response down in the hopes that my pleasure can turn back on.

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://sophistsociety.tumblr.com/post/5196531729/paradox-of-hedonism

Keep chasing pleasure and you'll never find it. Pleasure is incidental to other things - interests, relationships, hobbies. Hedonism is a really reductionist approach to happiness, and I don't think it serves anyone well.

What I'm trying to do here is make people realize that nothing they can tell me can ever change my immense value towards my pleasure. 

Mission accomplished.

I want them to no longer try to convince me that there are other good things I can live for and to no longer convince me that I can still find worth and such in this life without my feelings of pleasure.

You have entirely misunderstood the purpose of this site, which is the opposite of what you want.  You will not obtain what you want here.  We will not validate self-injurious nonsense.  I would add that your choice of phases such as "my good life" and "my feelings of pleasure" necessarily infer that you have no interest in equivalent discussion of anyone else's life or pleasure, and can therefore have no reasonable expectation of empathy.

If they do try to convince me, then I post these long-winded refutations in return so that they realize that there is truly no reason for me to find worth and good value in my own personal life without my feelings of pleasure.

That has yet to occur despite reams of redundancy on your part, and suggests a change in strategy.

I want these people to instead respond to me in such a way that says: "I see.  I realize that your feelings of pleasure are the one and only things of good value to you in your personal life and just how much you must have them back.  I will no longer try to convince you otherwise and I fully respect your hedonistic values."

Your chances of obtaining full respect from anyone via your present course of action is akin to your chance of obtaining a round-trip ticket to the Moon next week.  I might add that calling your own evidently compassionate mother 'unintelligent' in a public forum marks you as an boorish cad undeserving of any consideration whatever.

My feelings of pleasure are all that matter to me in terms of my own personal life and nothing else will ever matter to me in terms of my own personal life I live for myself.

Obviously.

If they are people who call me selfish, disrespect me, call me a crybaby, etc., then the same thing also applies.  I will post long-winded refutations to these people and their claims that I am selfish and such so that they have full respect and compassion towards me and respect my hedonistic values and no longer call me such names anymore or mock me in any other given way.  In other words, I just want these types of people to be quiet and to respect my hedonistic values.  If these people insist on calling me names anyway and in displaying a tonality towards me that I deem as disrespect, then I will become abusive towards these people.

Not here, you won't.  If you become abuse you will be in violation of the User Agreement and you will be excommunicated tout-suite. The idea that this entire community must suddenly adhere to your highly subjective and overly sensitive personal sense of 'tonality' is laughable.  You make yourself a laughing-stock by the mere statement.

My feelings of pleasure are my own personal life here that I absolutely must fully have back in my life and you should respect that.

I'm afraid that, like everyone else here, I am just now overburdened by a considerable weight of problems of my own in which you are patently uninterested, and I can therefore waste no further time on yours.  You are invited to exit by the nearest log-out.  Good-day.

Cerberus

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://sophistsociety.tumblr.com/post/5196531729/paradox-of-hedonism

Keep chasing pleasure and you'll never find it. Pleasure is incidental to other things - interests, relationships, hobbies. Hedonism is a really reductionist approach to happiness, and I don't think it serves anyone well.

Well then, if that's how reality works.  If reality itself has disrespect towards me by not giving me the life of full pleasure I need and deserve to have, then I won't have any respect towards this life either in return.  If this life can't live up to my expectations and demands I deserve by giving me my life of full pleasure back, then I will put an end to this life.  It would not make me cowardly or selfish in doing so at all.  It would be no different than if there were bullies in your life (in this case, my anhedonia) who are mocking you and the life you truly wanted to live by taking that only life you wanted to live and found good value in.  But then you decided to put an end to the lives of those bullies.  Or, in this case, me putting an end to my anhedonia by putting an end to my life in the event that my feelings of pleasure can never fully recover.