CrazyBoards.org

Acid Reflux from effexor?

I'm currently taking 300mgs of Effexor, Risperadol,Seroquel and Clonazepam. I've definately noticed an increase in my acid reflux symptoms. Does anybody else seem to share the same prob. I also take rantodine(basiclly prescription strength Zantac) but find its still a problem. I've heard that heartburn meds can interfere with the effectiveness of  other meds too and am a bit concerned with possibly taking more rantidine. I took Losec a couple of years ago but stopped because it made my irritable bowel syndrome even worse(more diarreah). Does anybody have any experience with Nexium and the above mentioned meds? I was thinking of asking my doc for a trial Rx. I also eat tums by the dozen some days and keep Pepto bismal close by too. A previous course of effexor only, a year ago actually brought me releif from heartburn so I am wondering if it s the Risperadol/Seroquel to blame. Any antidotes or info would be apprecieated.

I'm currently taking 300mgs of Effexor, Risperadol,Seroquel and Clonazepam. I've definately noticed an increase in my acid reflux symptoms. Does anybody else seem to share the same prob. I also take rantodine(basiclly prescription strength Zantac) but find its still a problem. I've heard that heartburn meds can interfere with the effectiveness of

• 3 years later...
Guest Guest
I'm currently taking 300mgs of Effexor, Risperadol,Seroquel and Clonazepam. I've definately noticed an increase in my acid reflux symptoms. Does anybody else seem to share the same prob. I also take rantodine(basiclly prescription strength Zantac) but find its still a problem. I've heard that heartburn meds can interfere with the effectiveness of
Edited by null0trooper

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 6:49 PM, Ethansmom said:

@BrianOCD did your reflux ever go away?

No, but I also had acid reflux a bit before taking these meds.  It's just the majority of these meds seem to upset my stomach even more so...

I've always had the issue, I typically chug mylanta before I go to sleep and I rotate Prevacid.

Edited by BrianOCD

That sucks that the reflux never went away . I just upped my dose from 150 to 187.5. We are slowly trying to get up to the 200 mark. I still have acid reflux everyday unless I take Pepcid ac. I haven’t changed my diet, so it that even worth trying?? I drink cofee in the morning. Tomorrow I will try without cofee to see how I do. I know I am going to be dead tired . I just want to see if the coffee and the meds have some sort of reaction together triggering reflux. I’m sad. What if this med works? Will I have to take another pill for reflux or do I switch meds? I wonder if my klonopin is giving me reflux all of a sudden? I’ve been on it for two years so why would that start know. Effexor is the only change. Advise anyone? I’m so lost.

On 10/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, Ethansmom said:

That sucks that the reflux never went away . I just upped my dose from 150 to 187.5. We are slowly trying to get up to the 200 mark. I still have acid reflux everyday unless I take Pepcid ac. I haven’t changed my diet, so it that even worth trying?? I drink cofee in the morning. Tomorrow I will try without cofee to see how I do. I know I am going to be dead tired . I just want to see if the coffee and the meds have some sort of reaction together triggering reflux. I’m sad. What if this med works? Will I have to take another pill for reflux or do I switch meds? I wonder if my klonopin is giving me reflux all of a sudden? I’ve been on it for two years so why would that start know. Effexor is the only change. Advise anyone? I’m so lost.

Ya Definitely diet could work too, but I've found with acid reflux you can have it with a great many things, I'm a foodie, so I was like, I can't live without pizza, sodas, junkfood.  So I bit the bullet and just take PPIs and Mylanta when it gets bad.

Prevacid is OTC now too if it gets really bad for you try it for a week or two. I just take it when it's really really bad and then stop after a couple weeks.  So I often ended up taking it with Ativan and when adjusting medications until my system balances it out...Extreme Anxiety/stress is a big cause of acid reflux too...I've taken PPIs on and off for years with good results, it's not a permanent thing.

Edited by BrianOCD

@brianOCD  Thank you! It seems like the acid reflux is going away. It comes and goes, so I'm okay with that for now.   I'm feeling very anxious today. It's day 9 of my increase and I haven't been sleeping well for the past couple of days. My resting heart rate is in the 90's. I know that Effexor can do that. Will it go back down when I get used to the higher dose? I'm a little worried. I also have OCD, so am always checking my heart rate!

8 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

@brianOCD  Thank you! It seems like the acid reflux is going away. It comes and goes, so I'm okay with that for now.   I'm feeling very anxious today. It's day 9 of my increase and I haven't been sleeping well for the past couple of days. My resting heart rate is in the 90's. I know that Effexor can do that. Will it go back down when I get used to the higher dose? I'm a little worried. I also have OCD, so am always checking my heart rate!

It really took a couple months for me to finally level off on Effexor, just the nature of the beast, but you should start seeing improvements sooner than later.